I’m getting a whining noise

the baron

Sounds like gearbox to me, if i dip the clutch at speed the whining stops, so have ruled out wheel bearing etc.

its not bad it just wasn’t there a while ago, cant remember exactly when it started and whether its increased and ive just not noticed it, my passenger mentioned it the other day and ever since its been bugging me

Will changing the gearbox oil help?

Clutch Bearing/Assembly?

Because dipping the clutch stops the sound I doubt very much that it's a gearbox problem - assuming the car's still rolling along the road then the gearbox is still rotating but the noise goes away.  Which is why I think it may be clutch related.

Does the sound alter with engine speed? If so how?

13 minutes ago, map said:

Clutch Bearing/Assembly?

Because dipping the clutch stops the sound I doubt very much that it's a gearbox problem - assuming the car's still rolling along the road then the gearbox is still rotating but the noise goes away.  Which is why I think it may be clutch related.

Does the sound alter with engine speed? If so how?

Yes, the higher the revs/speed the greater the noise until you cant hear it due to the ambient noise of the cabin at higher speeds

Having seen your reply ^^ I went to look up clutch bearing failure and according to the internet the symptom of clutch bearing failure is actually the reverse of the symptom you're describing - apparently you get a noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.  This may or may not be true/relevant to your situation.

That said the fact that it disappears with the clutch pedal depressed still suggests a clutch assembly or flywheel wrinkle that needs ironing out.  

How many miles on that clutch/flywheel?

With car idling there’s no noise as such and if you depress the clutch there no difference in noise, 

the car has just ticked over 200k and as far as I can see it’s on the same clutch, however there’s no slippage and it’s not particularly hard to depress, certainly in the 100k miles I’ve put on the clock it’s not really changed at all

2 hours ago, the baron said:

if i dip the clutch at speed the whining stops, so have ruled out wheel bearing etc.

14 minutes ago, the baron said:

With car idling there’s no noise as such and if you depress the clutch there no difference in noise, 

Am now confused..... unless this means that the noise is only apparent when the car is actually physically moving.

24 minutes ago, map said:

Am now confused..... unless this means that the noise is only apparent when the car is actually physically moving.

Yes that’s correct, it’s a whine as you move up the gears.

Failing alternator / water pump pulley?

Only apparent when under load?

Just another idea....

Cheers, Baggers.

8 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Just another idea....

Cheers, Baggers.

New alternator and water pump and a couple of pulleys replaced at the same time a few months back, so unlikely but could be, I did think maybe another pulley as they weren’t all replaced.

6 hours ago, bagss2 said:

Just another idea....

Cheers, Baggers.

6 hours ago, the baron said:

New alternator and water pump and a couple of pulleys replaced at the same time a few months back, so unlikely but could be, I did think maybe another pulley as they weren’t all replaced.

Mmmmm - do you have Air Con/Climate?

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Auxillary belt or/ tensioner?-easy to remove and run without....

This was changed when the water pump was done a few months ago.

27 minutes ago, map said:

Does the sound alter when you turn the steering wheel?

No, and yes ive replaced the steering pump or what ever its called, last year, my car is like Triggs broom, most things have been replaced, i think it is either your first suggestion, clutch or a gear box issue, neither of which is urgent as the noise is not that bad and hasn’t increased, just need to get it sorted.

1 minute ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Just to confirm-the belt was replaced or/and the tensioners?

Inner/outer CV joints?

The belt and tensioner were replaced.

Inner/outer CV joints not touched, 

29 minutes ago, the baron said:

No, and yes ive replaced the steering pump or what ever its called, last year, my car is like Triggs broom, most things have been replaced, i think it is either your first suggestion, clutch or a gear box issue, neither of which is urgent as the noise is not that bad and hasn’t increased, just need to get it sorted.

Ha Ha - Trigger's Broom - there's a few like that on here, mine included.

Might be worth getting it your preferred indy for a diagnosis - even if it's only "They all do that at 200,000 miles....."

1 hour ago, map said:

Ha Ha - Trigger's Broom - there's a few like that on here, mine included.

Might be worth getting it your preferred indy for a diagnosis - even if it's only "They all do that at 200,000 miles....."

Agreed, based on the posts it seems sensible

pjk, I don’t think at speed when I dip the clutch it would make a difference if the fluid was low.

I had a whine from the gearbox in my 1997 2.5L 986 when it had covered 90k. The noise started when I got up to 30 mph. As I put my foot down it got worse until the ambient noise of the car drown it out. 

Solution: As soon as I heard it, jacked the car up placed on axle stands then changed the gearbox oil. Never heard it since!

41 minutes ago, Johnllart said:

I had a whine from the gearbox in my 1997 2.5L 986 when it had covered 90k. The noise started when I got up to 30 mph. As I put my foot down it got worse until the ambient noise of the car drown it out. 

Solution: As soon as I heard it, jacked the car up placed on axle stands then changed the gearbox oil. Never heard it since!

Thanks for that, that was my first thought, will change it out.

Archived