Rear Fog lights as additional Brake Lights

Blumr2

Hey All, I just completed a couple of projects and bridged the rear fog Grey/White together to allow both fog lights to be used and not just one. Yes this is country dependant and illegal in some places but all good in OZ or was or really im OCD and need both to work and don't care.. lol

Question for you Electronics people out there, as most Porsche's only have small brake lights on the rear and much better than Ferrari's but with todays nutters out there and lack of attention i was thinking of looking at using the rear Fogs as a second set of brake lights.

Now using the hack to bridge the wires to activate both, could you use the same idea and run a lead from the brake wire via a blocking Diode into the same wire ?? thus allowing the brakes to supply power to the wire and illuminate the Fogs as additional Brake Lights giving 4 across the rear instead of the two and then if using the frogs the blocking diode will stop the power going reverse into the brake circuit.. 

Thoughts and Comments... Cheers

Don't know much about electronics but I'm sure you could do it with a small relay with a 12v coil and isolated switch terminals

Could work but just needs power supplied when brake depressed and a replay may delay things, though a quick acting electronic one.. 

ill add it to the ideas. 

Just my 2p's worth, but there is only one high intensity rear fog light for a reason.  If you have both on, it can be bl**dy difficult for a following car to see the brake lights come on (in the fog).  IMO rear fogs are one of the most misused pieces of equipment on cars.  Don't get me started on the lack of use of indicators though....

12 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Just my 2p's worth, but there is only one high intensity rear fog light for a reason.  If you have both on, it can be bl**dy difficult for a following car to see the brake lights come on (in the fog).  IMO rear fogs are one of the most misused pieces of equipment on cars.  Don't get me started on the lack of use of indicators though....

I agree with you on miss use and i like that Boxsters and other BMW's i have had you can use front and rear fogs independently to each other, i have never used rear fogs, just like if in a situation ro mark both sides of the car clearly. At least the boosters brakes are inboard from the outer fogs ad easy to show up, it was just a project to enable both.

More over i was looking at using the fogs as additional brake lights due to the number of people on phones and media players in cares not paying attn is getting worse. with  a relay or diode in use the brakes could illuminate that unused fogs as well.

Plus when you have some shyate head tailgating you its nice to be able to pull the fog switch on looking like brakes lights and while he plants the anchors you can plant the accelerator to get more distance. Lol 

10 hours ago, roadrunner68 said:

Not sure where you'd stand with an MOT.

No in some counties it wouldn't as they stipulate left or Right side due to passing traffic, why i hate fords and other EU cars in the UK. most have foglight on the lower left as EU designed if they run a single on and thus you can't see the entire car is still sticking out the right of them. That should be addressed by the DVLA with cars. ?

The fog light, if single, has to be on the 'off side' i.e. driver's side to show the extreme of the car in the centre of the road.  You'll note on many cars the corresponding position on the other side is the single reversing light.  Regarding usage of headlights/fog lights in limited visibility:

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Thank you, Yes that is usually the rules in most countries and modified to suit Left or RHD. That all aside, My question is the use of them being wired into the brake circuit to be additional brake lights when not in use as fogs ( Knowing Australian conditions they will never see a single use )

Best way to utilise them as brakes, but adding either diodes or relay in the the brake system to power them when pressing the brake pedal. then of course if you ever did need as fogs they don't work in reverse.

Alternately you could remove the wiring pins for the fogs so the rears never work and convert to additional brake lights? Was just a thought to add extra awareness in braking. Since migrating back to OZ and taking my Boxster with me i have never come across such arrogant and aggressive drivers. It makes the trip in Euro[e and even Istanbul a doddle. Lol they like to tail gate and i'd like a bit more Keep Back presence.

Plod in OZ aren't to bright on car rules, and they wouldn't be flashing ! simply just a brake lights acting the same as the ones already there, plus I've read the ADR's and Brake and Fogs only need to adhere to a specific lux, and fogs to a beam speed by the deflectors no mention of side requirements thus allowing one either side as makers.

Thing is if Porsche had but extra bake lights in or swapped the locations no one would have ever been the wiser. Many Japanese cars, 240/260/280z's Supra, MR2, etc I've had all had 2 x rear fogs from factory.

The blubs are the same intensity as each other - from the owners manual P21W the light spread from a fog would be lower and just show as an additional light with the same intensity as a brake so essentially 4 vrs 2. All the issues have been weighed up and effects to other drivers are negligible this would be just additional brakes lights.

Ill move this to an electronics forum as its the wiring and load on the circuits I'm interested in, legalities and issues have been addressed.

Thanks all for the comments, also need to fix my locations as moved and imported the car as well.

Archived