NEW BATTERY FITTED ALARM SOUNDED

niceone

That caught me out on one of my first tasks after getting the car. I wanted to delete the ashtray and had to disconnect the battery before dealing with the console switches. I couldn't believe how freaking loud it was, especially in the confined space of my garage. I read the handbook and there is no mention of it in there. 

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Tell me more of disconnecting battery to deal with the console switches @Sussexlad as I'm planning to do it v.soon as I now have the part.

I thought it best to disconnect the battery as it was tricky to remove the spade connectors without depressing the switches continuously.

The ashtray came out easily just with two screws. The spade connectors were held on really tightly but succumbed with some gentle rocking as I was concerned about breaking the plastic. Actually I did the job on an afternoon last summer. If I were doing it now I would probably warm the parts with a hairdrier first.

Swapping the switches over was more difficult as they initially didn't want to come out. They came out eventually by sliding a thin bladed screwdriver over the clips on both sides (difficult to see as they are hidden).

11 hours ago, Sussexlad said:

I thought it best to disconnect the battery as it was tricky to remove the spade connectors without depressing the switches continuously.

The ashtray came out easily just with two screws. The spade connectors were held on really tightly but succumbed with some gentle rocking as I was concerned about breaking the plastic. Actually I did the job on an afternoon last summer. If I were doing it now I would probably warm the parts with a hairdrier first.

Swapping the switches over was more difficult as they initially didn't want to come out. They came out eventually by sliding a thin bladed screwdriver over the clips on both sides (difficult to see as they are hidden).

Just to confirm-in case you haven't read up/read the entire post....

To disconnect battery put key in ignition with the dashboard lights glowing before you disconnect battery.

Before you reconnect insert key again and then reconnect battery.

This worked for me and stopped the alarm going off though others may have other opinions.

So disconnect battery when key is in first position to put electrics on and reconnect with key in same position so electrics on?  No current surge issues on reconnection?

Archived