Boxster 987 MF steering wheel upgrade

Hanny

Hi all, first post - I have tried to search but as yet no detail info about upgrading my current 987.1, non MF with the following OEM parts from a 911 991 with the part number 99134780314A34? 

Not looked at your part number yet but I upgraded my 987.2 pdk wheel to a MF wheel from a 991 ( pdk ) Airbag fitted fine, (round) but you need to code the car to recognise the mf bits of the wheel. You need a piwis or a Durametric. 

Will check my notes on the part number of the wheel I installed. 

The wheel you are looking at has pdk buttons. (Think that’s the one I fitted to mine ) don’t know if that’s going to be an issue. I think that physically it will fit (they are bolted in via a star (not torx) headed bolt. I will find the link for the bit I ordered to fit that. Porsche recommend you replace the bolt. It has a thread lock compound on it.  Some don’t replace iT but they are about a fiver from OPC so it I replaced mine.  

I don’t think the generic eBay “piwis cable” will handle the programming.  As far as I know they ship with an old version of omthe Durametric software and I don’t think that combo can do the coding required. Maybe others can comment on that. 

47 minutes ago, Paul P said:

The wheel you are looking at has pdk buttons. (Think that’s the one I fitted to mine ) don’t know if that’s going to be an issue. I think that physically it will fit (they are bolted in via a star (not torx) headed bolt. I will find the link for the bit I ordered to fit that. Porsche recommend you replace the bolt. It has a thread lock compound on it.  Some don’t replace iT but they are about a fiver from OPC so it I replaced mine.  

I don’t think the generic eBay “piwis cable” will handle the programming.  As far as I know they ship with an old version of omthe Durametric software and I don’t think that combo can do the coding required. Maybe others can comment on that. 

I’m hoping that I can utilise pdk Buttons with my Tiptronic. As mine does not have MF, I am expecting to add a new control module, unless otherwise informed. Will wait for the PIWIS to turn up, got it from a website rather than eBay, I use original VCDS, (known previously as “VAGCOM’), for my VAG cars, so if the PIWIS turns out to be a prt useable copy I will probable go for latest Durametric set.

I think I will also follow you and fit a new bolt.

Will do some research for you later on From the info I found when I did mine.  

What year is yours. It may be that you already have the module required for the multifunction. Don’t know about the tip buttons.but you might be lucky since things don’t change much.  

I would offer to help with the programming ( I have a PIWIS) but we are opposite ends of the country  

Looks like the steering control module part number for 2008-> is the same as that listed for the 987.2 (2012) (my car)  ( 997 618 154 04 ) - thats the module that you code for multi function wheel support - so hopefully you don't need that - visually the air bag looks ok - if you get the wheel it's easy to pup the airbag out and check it fits the new wheel.

Don't know how else to confirm - you can spend hours looking a the PETS parts lists

online https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/originalparts/

and you can check part numbers between models etc.

only unknown thing I guess is PDK buttons = TIP buttons - but I guess theres only one way to find out - on mine - the pdk buttons worked without any coding changes - so you should be able to confirm that fairly easily - even before you worry about the coding.

12 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Looks like the steering control module part number for 2008-> is the same as that listed for the 987.2 (2012) (my car)  ( 997 618 154 04 ) - thats the module that you code for multi function wheel support - so hopefully you don't need that - visually the air bag looks ok - if you get the wheel it's easy to pup the airbag out and check it fits the new wheel.

Don't know how else to confirm - you can spend hours looking a the PETS parts lists

online https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/originalparts/

and you can check part numbers between models etc.

only unknown thing I guess is PDK buttons = TIP buttons - but I guess theres only one way to find out - on mine - the pdk buttons worked without any coding changes - so you should be able to confirm that fairly easily - even before you worry about the coding.

Paul, your a star, thank you for you time and help, very much appreciated 

Hanny I don’t think you will be able to use the airbag from the old wheel with the new one as different kind of fittment (I could be wrong ) 

If you do need the right airbag for the new wheel i have one and possibly do a deal on your old wheel/airbag as i have always liked that one . 

14 minutes ago, Halfway said:

Hanny I don’t think you will be able to use the airbag from the old wheel with the new one as different kind of fittment (I could be wrong ) 

If you do need the right airbag for the new wheel i have one and possibly do a deal on your old wheel/airbag as i have always liked that one . 

Hi, might be an idea if it doesn’t fit, what I don’t know is what ‘stage’ they are, ‘1st’ or ‘2nd’ - will find out soon, can you send me a pic of the front and one of the part number please - many thanks.

Not definitive. But the release mechanism for the airbag for the wheel you are looking at is “small hole in bottom of Central Part of wheel” poke screwdriver or something with a flat end (Alan key) into hole pushes a square ish loop of metal that looks like a wire coat hanger and against some springs and that “unhooks” from back of airbag. 

If your existing one is similar. You stand a chance (@halfway may well be right - my experience is with gen 2 “all black” wheel)

if however yours is different (screwed in from the back for example) then def different fitting. 

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party.  I know that when fitting a Sport Design (paddle) wheel to a 987.1 Tiptronic you need to fit the 997.613.289.01 steering column control unit.  @Paul P Are you sure this isn't the one you have, as it is standard on 987.2s.  It also needs a bit of special coding, and you'll definitely need a Porsche PIWIS tester.

@Richard Hamilton I will bow to your superior knowledge on this ( you have certainly guided me correctly) - but I found that a difficult question to answer - the piwis scan on my car gave a part number of 997 613 04 311 for steering control switch which if I look that up (google) seems to the the clock spring - but that’s where in the piwis log I have available to me (not at home at the moment) - that shows the MF coding etc. When I hit the PETS2 parts list online - the steering control module I found was the part number listed above (actually a typo should have been 997 613 154 04). I certainly never swapped any electronics in my wheel swap (the new clockspring to support the heater is still in its box - waiting for next cycle of “fiddling”). 

at this point - I declare myself confused on part numbers for this - since I am not sure which is the actual component that needs to support the pdk buttons as tip controls - unknown territory for me. The bundle Hanny was bidding on appeared to have 3 stalk switches (indicator, wipers, computer), wheel and clocksping.

@Hanny sorry if `I have confused you with my typo and my assumptions - my question mark was always around the pdk “buttons” as “tip” button - but 100% - take Richards guidance on this - he is the guy who helped my get the right wheel for my setup - and has helped my with a number of other things on my car  

The unit I'm talking about is Item 1:

SteeringCU.jpg

On a 987.1 it is part number 997.613.287.02 (or .03) for Manual or Tiptronic
On a 987.2 it is part number 997.613.289.01 for a PDK

Not sure about the other numbers, but 997 613 154 04 is the electric window switch on a 997...

Got the steering wheel on, coded, but my airbag didn’t fit so now trying to source one, got a couple of bits to do with aftermarket stereo the will find out if MF works.

Paul, did you get your heated steering wheel working?

On 4/1/2019 at 5:53 PM, Halfway said:

Hey Halfway, could you send me a pic of your airbag.......thanks

If you don't do a deal with Halfway I might be interested in buying your wheel and airbag. I cant offer you an airbag in return but at least it might offset some of your costs.

Dave

7 minutes ago, entdgc said:

If you don't do a deal with Halfway I might be interested in buying your wheel and airbag. I cant offer you an airbag in return but at least it might offset some of your costs.

Dave

Ok thanks Dave, will let you know, just going to give until tomorrow then I will need to find a round airbag off eBay 

6 hours ago, Hanny said:

Got the steering wheel on, coded, but my airbag didn’t fit so now trying to source one, got a couple of bits to do with aftermarket stereo the will find out if MF works.

Paul, did you get your heated steering wheel working?

Not yet.  I have the parts I need I just need some weekend tinker time and to be honest spending what I have driving the car is more rewarding at the moment. I am toying with fitting cruise control so might do the clock spring swap then.  

Did your pdk buttons work for the tip?  Did you need to swap the steering control module ?  

Archived