Boxster 987 MF steering wheel upgrade

Hanny

15 minutes ago, Hanny said:

PDK buttons worked a treat, no need for CM swap ............... yet, still got to get MF working.

Nice.  Shame about the airbag. Once that’s sorted should look good. 

Hi Richard, MF not working yet, only PDK paddles with Tip, need some replacement cable in adaptor harness, then will test.

Met up with Halway today to get his airbag, need to look at connectors as the horn is not working.

6 minutes ago, Hanny said:

Hi Richard, MF not working yet, only PDK paddles with Tip, need some replacement cable in adaptor harness, then will test.

Met up with Halway today to get his airbag, need to look at connectors as the horn is not working.

I have some memories of a thread on here about horn not working after wheel replacement. Cant remember the outcome - might be worth a search.

Dave

Thanks gents, have read that post, I think that I that I will need to get a control module anyway so will see what happens after I get that coded in.

Now to find the correct module part number.

I don't think you would need a new control module for MF.  I've fitted a few MF wheels, and never had to change the control module.  My assumption about needing a new module for the PDK wheel was incorrect for PDK buttons, but I am sure it is correct for PDK paddles.

If you have fitted an aftermarket head unit, does it connect to the CAN bus?  If not, I'm struggling to work out how the MFSW is going to work.

Hi Richard, the following Porsche Boxster Böse Stereo kit was fitted which has canbus connection.

Reading through a mountain of threads/posts across the web I am lead to believe that because i am going from a non MF to MF and heated wheel that I have to change the control module and clock spring, (control module 997.613.299.02, clock spring contact unit 995.652.211.22), then get it coded. This should also solve the horn not working issue.

What do you think, am I close to the mark or am I wrong?

8 hours ago, Hanny said:

Hi Richard, the following Porsche Boxster Böse Stereo kit was fitted which has canbus connection.

Reading through a mountain of threads/posts across the web I am lead to believe that because i am going from a non MF to MF and heated wheel that I have to change the control module and clock spring, (control module 997.613.299.02, clock spring contact unit 995.652.211.22), then get it coded. This should also solve the horn not working issue.

What do you think, am I close to the mark or am I wrong?

Sounds like a good plan.  You will definitely need the control unit and contact unit you have shown, as both are needed for the steering wheel heating.  (I don't think heated wheel was ever an option on the 987.1, and I didn't realise before now that your wheel was heated).  As for the CAN bus connection for the MF controls, I guess that if the CAN code is the same on your aftermarket head unit as PCM/CDR, then you stand a fighting chance of the controls working.  Unfortunately, there is only one way to find out.

Archived