Best brake pad for oem discs

Craigib76

Hi All

I recently bought a lapis blue 2.7 228bhp 986 and I am replacing the discs front and rear with oem discs, I was wondering what the best/highly recommend pads to go with them are....

Thanks in advance 

Craig

14 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I've used both Brembo and Pagid set ups in the passed ..... never had any issues with either.

Work out quite reasonable at ECP or GSF when they have their discount sales.

I concur - I just fitted Brembo discs and pads on the front courtesy of ECP and the pads were marked Textar.

8 hours ago, Craigib76 said:

Thanks for the replies 

I think you can see a pattern in your responses forming here ;-)...good luck with fitting them and be aware that that allen bolts that hold the caliper in position do have a habit of siezing because they screw into an alloy casting :-(

9 hours ago, Sussexlad said:

I concur - I just fitted Brembo discs and pads on the front courtesy of ECP and the pads were marked Textar.

Brembo pads are made by Pagid, owned by TMD Friction who also own Textar, Mintex and more. Pagid quite often use the Textar metal backing plates in production, hence the "Textar" on the rears. Any German make should be fine (I know Brembo are Italian!)

Used Pagid disks and pads in the Skoda VRS. They have been very good.

Just put a full set of Pagid pads on the Boxster. Not had it out of the garage yet to test as going to flush the brake fluid first. Hopefully get it out in next couple of weeks.

Thanks  all 

I thought there may have been a shout for an aftermarket type pad like ferodo or carbotech pads 

but it seems not

thanks for the heads up on the bolts

cheers Craig 

4 hours ago, Craigib76 said:

Thanks  all 

I thought there may have been a shout for an aftermarket type pad like ferodo or carbotech pads 

but it seems not

thanks for the heads up on the bolts

cheers Craig 

Quite honestly many of the owners here aren't using these sorts of pads as they don't do that sort of driving. 

I am using the DS2500. I have a bunch of friends on the Carbotech XP10/12 but I think the XP8 based purely on the spec and what I use the car for would be as far as I go. 

34 minutes ago, edc said:

Quite honestly many of the owners here aren't using these sorts of pads as they don't do that sort of driving. 

I am using the DS2500. I have a bunch of friends on the Carbotech XP10/12 but I think the XP8 based purely on the spec and what I use the car for would be as far as I go. 

Presumably those pads are an advantage for track work rather than road driving, or do you think they are better overall on road as well? OP doesn't state what use they will be put to.

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Presumably those pads are an advantage for track work rather than road driving, or do you think they are better overall on road as well? OP doesn't state what use they will be put to.

The marketing bumf will say "race" and "not for road use". But I and the people I know using these pads are predominantly for fast road use. I rarely if ever go on the track. If all you do it pootle so to speak and use it as a daily then likely over kill using these pads. 

Race pads can be pretty uncivilised in road use often squealing or rumbling and they eat discs.  I used to take my Subarus on track quite frequently and the best compromise was a 'fast road' compound from Mintex which was M1155, more resilient on track than M1144 and not as harsh on discs or noisy as M1166 but as they were the base for Group N rallying homologation which had to use the road size discs and callipers getting all sorts of completion pads was quite easy.  Takes time and research to find you preferred option.  EBC make choosing pads from their range quite simply by their colour coding, but I have no experience of them in Porsche applications but they list blue (track day), orange (race), red (fast street) and yellow (street & track) pad options for the 2.7.  Not sure of the difference between track day, street & track and fast street... 🤔

DS2500 is probably just the right sweet spot then. No front lad wear sensors though so just short out and move out the way. Same is true for most other if not all other uprated pads. 

Beware that the Ferodo DS2500 can crumble. Not seen any other Boxster owners report the same problem, though a Google will bring up other makes of car  that have suffered the same fate. 

These were fitted to the front of my car when I bought it, and had only done 5k odd miles iirc, and possibly a couple of track days, and although the brakes seemed to work ok, replacing them with some Pagids was a big improvement and showed just how bad the DS2500 were in comparison

I'm struggling to see the advantage of so called race/track pads if all you do is road driving tbh. Property working standard Porsche brakes seem pretty damn good to me. 

Do these pads actually reduce braking distances, or is it more to do with initial feel/bite when you apply the brakes etc.? 

No one seems to do any objective comparative testing either that I'm aware of, so your just relying on what the manufacturers/owners say about said product, unless you can try another car with them fitted. 

Would be nice to try something else other then the DS2500 one day, just to see if I can tell any difference, but I would have a hard time justifying the prices charged, when standard pads are so reasonably priced. 

You make a valid point on feel as with me I am going to replace the discs( cheap ones) for oem drilled units so perhaps they would be enough with a good set of standard pads......so possibly it is an accumulation of change that leaked these high end pads feel so much better when the discs have just as big a part to play in the overall feel of the pedal and performance in stopping 

I now don’t know what to go for? 

I think I will probably end up with pagid pads but worry I may want to change them quicker than I would like due to underperforming.... hopefully not though 

Underperforming compared to what though? Have you put the standard brakes properly through their paces yet? 

On my car a well bedded in DS2500 works well for me and better than a new well bedded in Pagid/Texstar standard pad. No fade. 

Underperforming based on not stopping quickly enough as the discs and pads I have on just now( previous owner) so stop but feel like I am having to brake harder than I would normally do 

or maybe I am just used to my mk7 golf gtd brakes that stop on a 6pence

If you are comparing to a modern servo'd car then just step on the brakes much harder. The bite and stopping power is more than their but you have to out the effort in as the car won't do it for you. 

Two principle elements to fade:  all of the gasses burning off the compound in the hot pad and the hot disc, second is the brake fluid.  Keeping good fresh fluid in the system and making sure you cool down rathe than allowing heat soak to also affect the fluid by stopping after a session without cooling down a bit.  Extra cooling even like going for GT3 duct/deflectors will help here.  Also deglazing the discs and pads has an effect even if it is a chore.  The main thing is to get the right specific pad, not just a preferred brand.

Also someone else around here must be running a track car, what to they use what don't they use, be guided by them.  996s with the same callipers/pads/discs will have similar on track issues.

Archived