Headlining Elastics

mark987

Does anyone have any details on how to replace the headlining elastics, the one by the drivers right shoulder? I've tried to find the attachment point but it disapears right down inside the car!

Thanks.

if it's the strap I'm thinking of, what a lot of us do is pull and stretch it out, fold it over (about a quarter of an inch) so your taking about half inch length off it and sew the fold, worked for me on the 986 and more recently on the 987.

Guvs.  

Mark,

I believe that you are referring to the piece of elastic which keeps the headlining taut. These (there are a couple on each side) are an absolute pain in the ####. You are correct that the long piece of elastic stretches down and goes through a plastic clip which connects to the pivot point of the hood. It then comes back up and attaches to the rear of the headliner.

Capture.JPG

I removed the trim panel covering the seat belt mechanism and put the hood in the service position. Make sure you have a selection of elastic - it needs to be strong - I think I used 3/4 inch from memory.

Be prepared for scraped knuckles and a total loss of the sense of humour. It helps if you have another person with sewing skills to assist!

If it helps, the old piece of elastic in my car had stretched to 56cm and was replaced with a piece of new elastic around 38cm long.

17 hours ago, crazybones said:

I removed the trim panel covering the seat belt mechanism and put the hood in the service position. Make sure you have a selection of elastic - it needs to be strong - I think I used 3/4 inch from memory.

Be prepared for scraped knuckles and a total loss of the sense of humour. It helps if you have another person with sewing skills to assist!

If it helps, the old piece of elastic in my car had stretched to 56cm and was replaced with a piece of new elastic around 38cm long.

Thanks for the insight.

Mark

Archived