PCM 3.1 poor tuner reception

Andyl68

The FM reception on my PCM is pretty awful to say the least and I've noticed that the track listings text is often slow to refresh and often has characters missing. Is this a common problem with the PCM 3.1 and if so is there anything I can do to improve the situation without changing the headunit? I seem to remember the tuner reception in my Bose equipped 987.2 was pretty poor, but nowhere near as bad as in the 981. I'm booked in for an audio upgrade tomorrow but this will just be speakers and amp.

Any advice welcomed!

I have to admit mine is awful too so I just hook up my ipod now 

I’ve got to admit I mainly use DAB (or jukebox) but the DAB reception is not anywhere near as good as in my wife’s car when in poor perception areas, obviously not having a roof is the main issue here which hampers the aerial options, additionally FM transmitter power is being reduced in many areas to allow for a boost in DAB frequencies so this probably doesn’t help.

perhaps ask your audio guy whether any suitable additional aerial options are available?

8 hours ago, Andyl68 said:

The FM reception on my PCM is pretty awful to say the least and I've noticed that the track listings text is often slow to refresh and often has characters missing. Is this a common problem with the PCM 3.1 and if so is there anything I can do to improve the situation without changing the headunit? I seem to remember the tuner reception in my Bose equipped 987.2 was pretty poor, but nowhere near as bad as in the 981. I'm booked in for an audio upgrade tomorrow but this will just be speakers and amp.

Any advice welcomed!

Have you got anything plugged into any of the auxiliary power sockets (ciggy lighters). Eg phone, sat nav, dash cam etc. 

I've found in both our 981 and audi that for some reason this seems to interfere with the radio signal. 

Hope this helps. 

37 minutes ago, fildyke said:

Have you got anything plugged into any of the auxiliary power sockets (ciggy lighters). Eg phone, sat nav, dash cam etc. 

I've found in both our 981 and audi that for some reason this seems to interfere with the radio signal. 

Hope this helps. 

this...our resident electronics expert @topradio will tell you more....it can be the cheaper cig lighter charger causing a problem

In mine it seemed to be ok until the radio signal was weaker and then the reception went totally...swapped the charger and its fine now

My radio reception is pretty poor on my pcm in my 987.2

It was pretty bad in my 986 but definitely better in my 987.1 non pcm.

I ve got no gadgets plugged in so I would be interested in finding out if can be improved 👍

1 hour ago, fildyke said:

I did try a couple of different ones with no real change. Be interested to know which ones don't interfere or what spec they need to be. 

I tried a few in my 986. The only one that performs well is in a metal case, rather than plastic. Ravpower I think. No interference from that one.

I’ve got nothing plugged into any of the sockets at all... I’ll ask the audio guy tomorrow to see if this is anything he’s come across before, or has any suggestions to improve the current situation. I’ll update this post once I’ve spoken to him.

I spoke to the guy who's upgrading my amp and speakers about the poor FM reception. Its something that he's well aware of, but doesn't see an easy/cheap fix. His view was that there are plant of FM signal boosters available, but they just don't work. He did suggest taking a look at this company https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto who do a PCM 3.1 car play upgrade, however at £510 i'll stick with Bluetooth, my Radio X app and Spotify...

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, Andyl68 said:

Any advice welcomed!

Havnt had any issues with Fm reception but I nora\mally stream spotty anyway, after all the negative comments on the Bose I put 30 mins into setting up all the parameters and I’m very very with it over all

Archived