Service now message, how to reset

Roger C

Evening all,

So I've had the 10 day count down and now it's just saying 'service now', I'm going to give it an oil service next week so was wondering how do I reset the 'service now' message without spending 6 trillion pounds at Porsche.

Rog.

It needs a diagnostic tester which can reset it in the instrument cluster.  Either a Porsche tester, or a general purpose tester used in most small garages.  If you want to buy something cheap to do it search eBay for DS150E, CDP+, or Wurth Snooper+.  Less than £50 for the vehicle interface and software.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:23 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

It needs a diagnostic tester which can reset it in the instrument cluster.  Either a Porsche tester, or a general purpose tester used in most small garages.  If you want to buy something cheap to do it search eBay for DS150E, CDP+, or Wurth Snooper+.  Less than £50 for the vehicle interface and software.

I've had this message come up today too. Oil changed 4.5k miles and 10 months ago.

Could you provide a few more details please Richard? I've had a look on ebay and there seem to be loads of stuff from China but not much from the UK.

I understand the iCarsort can do he reset but it's pricey

https://www.ultimatecarparts.co.uk/icarsoft-por-v2-porsche-fault-code-diagnostic-tool-ecu-airbag-srs-service-obd2-ii-por-v20?search=iCarsoft POR

This one says he is a genuine UK seller, shows a UK address in his details, and has 100%+ feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264303077325

Software setup can be a bit tricky, and he says it works better on a Win7 32 bit system, but I have installed it on a Win7 64 bit system in the past without any problem.

12 hours ago, dim33 said:

I understand the iCarsort can do he reset but it's pricey

You could always try version one which is cheaper and states that it can reset oil service messages. I have no affiliation to these but was watching a blogger on you tube.

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/iCarsoft_POR_V1_0_Porsche_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Reset_Tool_Engine_ABS_Airbags_Oil_Reset__189199-z=564138&p=131248.cfm

Many thanks both. Not sure why but I find myself nervous going down the software set up route. Probably fear of the unknown, even though I work in IT.

I will check out the iCarsoft video above when I get a minute.

4 minutes ago, dim33 said:

Many thanks both. Not sure why but I find myself nervous going down the software set up route. Probably fear of the unknown, even though I work in IT.

I will check out the iCarsoft video above when I get a minute.

where abouts are you? 

also - amazon have the icarsoft por 2 available on prime - and they have a pretty good returns policy if (purely hypothetical;y someone was to get the unit, try it and find it "not fit for purpose" they could return it)

#justsaying

9 minutes ago, Paul P said:

fair hike from me in kent but if you wanted to I have access to a PIWIS diahs system......

V kind. Many thanks. Will bear it in mind.

Am wondering weather to cough up for the iCarsoft. It's the sort of thing that will be dead useful once in a while.

As I've started to work more on this car than any other car I've owned it's got me thinking about the whole Indy service stamp thing. I'll start another thread on this when I get a minute. I also use an excellent mechanic that is the best I've ever had. Honest, not expensive and extremely competent. But a stamp from him will carry v little weight to a potential buyer, as indeed will work carried out by me.

I had a full engine rebuild in March-May 2018 and a post run in oil change in July 2018. The service indicator should have been reset after the rebuild (services come no bigger than a rebuild!) but it wasn't. I could get this reset by the dealer but it's a 2 hour round trip and since I plan to change oil myself the reset function will be useful.

Service stamps are an interesting thing  - mine came with a full set of porsche ones, and i just spent 700 getting all the "optional" things that weren't done at the time -  one way of approaching it is use an indy for the "services" - and use your guy or diy for the things that are outside services - brakes etc. I think a set of receipts from you guy and receipts for parts used by yourself would be a reasonable history. Sounds like the icarsoft might be a good choice for you (and you can lend it to your guy in the future)

1 hour ago, Boxsteraficionado said:

If you live near Watford let me know, i have the Durametric pro tool that can reset the message in no time. No charge just come around and I will get it sorted for you.

Thanks for that. V kind of you.

But the bullet and treated myself to a icarsoft por2, a little pricey but did the job, also found out I don’t have charge in my AC system so I guess it’s earning it’s keep all ready..lol

17 hours ago, Roger C said:

But the bullet and treated myself to a icarsoft por2, a little pricey but did the job, also found out I don’t have charge in my AC system so I guess it’s earning it’s keep all ready..lol

so you'd recommend? tempted with durametric but then I never bought VCDS [Vagcom as was] in all the years I owned VW's. Although my BIL had one so I guess thatis why, only really used it 3 or 4 times in anger....

Archived