Are Locktons worth the extra?

Current '55 plate 987 Boxster S is being replaced on Thursday with a '66 plate 718.

Currently insured with Locktons and pay approx £300 pa, rang up to ask for quote on new car and they want £600 pa (policy due for renewal in September). I looked on the meerkat and got quotes for about £300

Never had any issues with Locktons- good company to deal with but then again never had to claim either. They do include European breakdown cover.

I'm wanting to do the "drive your own Porsche" at PEC in October (dates not confirmed yet) but I know it states that Locktons insure your car for the event- technically not a track day as you have an instructor with you.

Does anyone know if you have to have cover through Locktons for the event or have other people got cover through "normal" insurance brokers like Admiral & LV?

Try Henderson & Taylor, they only insure sports cars, good prices with track day cover too.

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

I use Manning, great personal service, track day cover, guaranteed value, genuine OPC repairs, less than Admiral for me!

are you covered for the possible October PCGB PEC driving day?

32 minutes ago, Pezky said:

are you covered for the possible October PCGB PEC driving day?

Yep, they have covered me FOC for the CAT Driving day plus the last PEC drive your own car day.  I just email them them and they respond so I have it in writing.  10% excess on track...

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

Yep, they have covered me FOC for the CAT Driving day plus the last PEC drive your own car day.  I just email them them and they respond so I have it in writing.  10% excess on track...

Interesting - I am insured with Manning and they wouldn't cover me for the PEC 'drive your own' day. What have I done wrong?!

2 hours ago, jhemus said:

Interesting - I am insured with Manning and they wouldn't cover me for the PEC 'drive your own' day. What have I done wrong?!

Clearly you are much higher risk than me 😄

Seriously no idea why this would be.  Though it might depend who I am ultimately insured with as Manning are just the broker.  I will take a look tomorrow at who the insurer is underwriting my policy to compare for you?  

As I said above I have simply emailed on each occasion and get a confirmation back same day usually. 

They have also given me a (small) discount for taking the CAT driving day course...

Some insurance companies just don’t like where you live. RH Insurance went off Sarf London several years back and doubled my premium having been so flexible in the past. For a modified car, I spoke with several insurers who insured friends equally or more modified cars elsewhere in the country and the premiums were a lot higher or no bid in one case. 

I’m with Lockton’s apart from the benefits already mentioned I found the excess to be reasonable at £250. Direct Line who I insure my other cars with wanted to apply an excess of £800.

Can't fault Locktons, I had to use the breakdown service and it was great, very fast, I have agreed value with them as they accepted the PCGB valuation, track day cover for PCGB arranged events if I ever need it. and the price has stayed at £315 for the last two years.

• 1 month later...

Got a quote from Lockton - great service and good to deal with but I blew the criteria - I drive it regularly, sometimes to work - did 8K miles last year  - they were double Admiral for 10K (admiral is unlimited) - and only 50% more when I dropped the mileage to 7.5K - they themselves said that they wouldn;t be competitive and suggested I was better off with Admiral .

Maybe if it was a different (more unique) car that I used rarely, had a lot of time invested and used on track days etc - then I would go again - but for a fairly generic, same price as a 2nd hand audi or bmw boxster then perhaps mainstream insurance is the best option - with of course that all insurance is a) a scam b) a lottery and c) only as good as when you have to claim.

Archived