Failed MOT on emissions etc

SDF1965

Hi all

MOT day, just had the call that the car has failed on emissions and blowing on gaskets to the cats. Haven't seen results as yet but they are stating both cats need changing and o2 sensors.

If this is correct best place to source cats? Could it be anything else?

Who did your MOT? I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to replace all those bits without getting a second opinion from a Porsche Indy. Leaking gaskets could be enough to fail the emmisions test. I'm no expert on interpreting the tests, but post the results up here and we may be able to advise on what the likely problem is.

Mine failed on Lamda reading due to air leaking in from a faulty joint.

I am a bit surprised that all of those things would need changing at the same time.i would definitely be getting a second opinion unless you trust the garage?

If the cats and/or lambdas are originals then they will be pretty much welded together. If you were DIYing then you might be able to work these out. But if in a workshop you will pay for the labour to do this and it will probably be cheaper to replace. 

49 minutes ago, SDF1965 said:

MOT day, just had the call that the car has failed on emissions and blowing on gaskets to the cats. Haven't seen results as yet but they are stating both cats need changing and o2 sensors.

If this is correct best place to source cats? Could it be anything else?

Echo previous comments about holding off this work until you know what the problem really is.

Can you let us know the age/year and mileage of your car please?  That might help with a diagnosis in addition to the info @Nobbie outlined.

Thanks all, I am also of a mind that the leaking gaskets could cause incorrect readings.

Have called CPS and awaiting call back, not going to jump in and replace without some knowledgeable people taking a look

I have recovered my Boxster, emission readings for CO are .800, the limit being .200

Garage quoted £1635.00 inc to replace both cats and a lambda sensor....needless to say I politely declined, if these are root cause will do the job myself and take car to CPS and ask them to MOT, should have done that in the first instance...

Archived