Shock horror

Andy9376

So today my window regulator broke and I think my shocks. I went over a speed bump (slowly) and I can now hear a grinding noise when moving. Thoughts? 

If it is the shocks, roughly what would it cost at a dealer and an Indy? I only say a dealer as there’s one by work and my indie is miles away.

10 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Is the noise from the front or back?

Does it change with speed or going round left or right hand bends?

It’s just happened. Rear. I’d say it’s worse going around bends. Can I drive it home? 

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

It's very common here for a spring to snap. Usually the top half of one turn, but maybe yours are in half? Get them replaced as a pair, if so.

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

It's very common here for a spring to snap. Usually the top half of one turn, but maybe yours are in half? Get them replaced as a pair, if so.

I will do. Do you have any idea of cost? And can I drive it?

20 minutes ago, Andy9376 said:

And can I drive it?

You should be able to drive cautiously assuming suspension hasn’t completely collapsed, just check nothing obvious is rubbing.  Usually if it’s a spring it’s the end of one that snaps and the noise is the two bits rubbing together or the fact that the snapped spring doesn’t sit on the mount correctly and grinds the rough end with any load change. 

Not sure on cost I’m afraid.

18 minutes ago, Greenman said:

You should be able to drive cautiously assuming suspension hasn’t completely collapsed, just check nothing obvious is rubbing.  Usually if it’s a spring it’s the end of one that snaps and the noise is the two bits rubbing together or the fact that the snapped spring doesn’t sit on the mount correctly and grinds the rough end with any load change. 

Not sure on cost I’m afraid.

Thanks a lot. Wish me luck 

Does your handbrake still work well? I just found a thread where Bally thought it was a spring but the handbrake shoe had debonded.

986 springs approx £180 the pair, I read. Think it was the pair!

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Does your handbrake still work well? I just found a thread where Bally thought it was a spring but the handbrake shoe had debonded.

986 springs approx £180 the pair, I read. Think it was the pair!

I hadn’t checked but I think so. I’ve a feeling it could be a £600 job at an indie. Any ideas how much a window regulator is to fix? I’ve had a bad day today ha 

I wouldn’t instantly assume on any account that going over 1 speed bump has kill springs/shocks... I would just had a good look myself (if possibly) drive it carefully home, call the local indie in the morning for a chat and get it checked over asap if it persists. 

25 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Sadly window regulators are recommended the originals not copies, as the latter barely seem to last a year. I fear 200 ish ballpark.

Is that just for the part or fitted too?

Sounds like a really bad day...!

13 hours ago, Andy9376 said:

Is that just for the part or fitted too?

Just for the part unfortunately (without motor). Aftermarket regulators are around half the price or less but are said not to last. If the regulator cable is broken rather than there being a motor/electrical fault, you should hear it thrashing around within the door as you press the window button.

The only good news is that it is really easy to fit a new regulator (even I could do it and I have five thumbs per hand!), just mark where the window sits in the clamps to retain alignment.

Archived