Ptv and diff

zagamuffin

I don't have PTV so can't answer directly, but coming from LSD equipped cars in the past I was a little apprehensive about not having PTV when I bought mine. 

2 yrs down the road I don't think the car needs it, being mid engined the traction is just so good in and out of corners.  A couple of times pulling out of uneven wet junctions, it would have been welcome but once on the move it's not a problem.  I have torque vectoring on the Golf R which I suspect is a sister system, it's pretty good at preventing understeer but it's not something the 981 really suffers from anyway.

Like daz I don’t have PTV, but pending anyone who has I will answer based on driving a none PTV equipped car and what I have read about PTV ( hearsay ).

if you floor the throttle out of a hairpin bend or pulling out of a junction you will likely spin up a wheel causeing traction control to intervene (assuming it’s not turned off) which results in the car bogging down briefly. I would assume in this scenario that LSD/PTV would help getting the traction and allow a much quicker pick up.  However once you have some speed the levels of traction are very high and it would be unusual to suffer from any sort issue. For even quick road driving the car doesn’t feel as though it needs it, but if you are Chris Harris and drift around bends you may have a different view!?

Now the more hearsay bit: LSD in general can cause more understeer and its one reason that some people done like them. PTV is different and should be able to reduce/mitigate/eliminate understeer, so the two combined might work very well. Some people do complain about excessive rear brake wear especially in track environments.

I have PTV and it's noticeable the way the car rotates around/ through corners. More so at moderate speeds. In wet weather conditions,  it never fails to impress me with its high speed cornering and traction.

Then again I've not tried a non PTV Boxster,  so can't compare.

The BRSCC have been racing Boxsters now for at least 8 years and have only just decided to permit fitting an LSD. Few drivers have decided to bother fitting one, partly because of the cost and partly because there’s little belief they’re needed. I raced a 987 for a couple of years and only once or twice did I encounter situations where it would have been of benefit. You would have to be seriously throwing the car about on the road to notice it.

PTV is of course a braking solution to the problem and is well known to absolutely muller rear brake pads on track.

As Greenman suggests, fitting an LSD to a 987 or later and you run the risk of getting into an argument with PSM!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought all standard 981 cars did the individual rear braking thing to limit wheel spin. Are we saying this is not true and it is only PTV cars which do this?

I've found the car bogging down thing only happens in normal mode. I drive mine in sport always and it never bogs down. Clearly a change in the map for the PSM.

18 hours ago, ATM said:

I thought all standard 981 cars did the individual rear braking thing to limit wheel spin. Are we saying this is not true and it is only PTV cars which do this?

I've found the car bogging down thing only happens in normal mode. I drive mine in sport always and it never bogs down. Clearly a change in the map for the PSM.

I don’t believe this is true in the way you think. The standard PSM system can I believe brake individual wheels in some circumstances but I don’t think it does this as a matter of course to improve traction in the same way that PTV would, PTV also brakes to help turn in etc.

I have found you can bog down the 981 in Sport or even in Sport+ if you try hard enough, by which I mean gunning it out of an off camber steep hairpin,  as stated though it isn’t an issue in ‘normal’ driving.

19 hours ago, Greenman said:

I don’t believe this is true in the way you think. The standard PSM system can I believe brake individual wheels in some circumstances but I don’t think it does this as a matter of course to improve traction in the same way that PTV would, PTV also brakes to help turn in etc.

I have found you can bog down the 981 in Sport or even in Sport+ if you try hard enough, by which I mean gunning it out of an off camber steep hairpin,  as stated though it isn’t an issue in ‘normal’ driving.

Ok

I'm surprised if it doesn't do the rear braking to reduce wheel spin. I thought that's standard on most modern cars. I read something about a guy driving a 981 on track and he kept cooking one of the rears and the guy was saying the reason why was this.

The car with an LSD will definitely drive better,  it will have better traction out of slower corners, less understeer and better rotation 

Mine has PTV, it makes the back end more enjoyable and your ability to tweak the back end out is greatly enhanced.

Well worth having!

:)

Archived