Red seatbelt replacements

Calypso

I’m toying with the idea of changing my seat belts to the red ones I’ve seen in some cars. I’ve found a DIY of someone doing this in their 987 Boxster but wondered if anyone has any experience and has written about changing them in the 981 model? I’ve searched on the forum but cannot find anything on the 981 so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I disconnected the battery on the 981, and it all came back to life OK -  I did follow this guide https://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-discussion/225177-seatbelt-removal-swap-diy-981-718-boxster-cayman.html which states

1. Disconnect your battery. Seat belts have sensors in them, and a little explosive things to remove the slack in case of the accident, so disconnecting battery is important. Disconnect the negative lead with 10mm wrench and set it aside making sure it doesn't touch anything.

Ok great. Just read through the link in the link above and it’s making sense now. 

@tony_zx9r - did you send off your belts and have them sorted by the eBay guy or did you replace the old with new yourself?

10 hours ago, Calypso said:

Ok great. Just read through the link in the link above and it’s making sense now. 

@tony_zx9r - did you send off your belts and have them sorted by the eBay guy or did you replace the old with new yourself?

Myself & @T24RES removed them on a friday afternoon. Ian then took them to the ebay guys place in Bicester (as Ian was working nearby that week). Ian then picked them up on the Friday afternoon on his way back and we fitted them in in under 20 mins when he got to my house. I am not sure you can fit them yourself to the reels as you have to take care of the seat belt pre-tensioners (ball bearings). If you are not close to Bicester, you will have to use the post.

To remove, you will need a set of those plastic trim pry tools. From memory, put roof down, open doors, slide seats forward & tilt, disconnect battery, remove door sill trim, remover upper trim where top of seat belt goes through, remove side panel trim, remove speaker surrounds in back wall, remove carpet from back wall (it makes things easier). Unplug seat belt pre-tensioners (yellow plug), remove bolts that hold seat belts top & bottom, remove  seat belt assembly.  You need to be careful not to break plastic lugs 🙂

Hopefully you have a garage and can leave car in this state until the belts return, else you will have to re-connect battery, close roof etc, 

Pics:

At this point, the door sill, top plastic and side trims have all been pried off.

aEhRN1M.jpg

urLjmY1.jpg

You can see yellow plug that has to be removed. Move orange locking tab and it should just pull out.

qG0ofHe.jpg

Udw98ty.jpg

Bottom bolt that needs plastic cover pried back and then remove bolt - do not lose collar

BCqQXx3.jpg

Removing bolt that holds in the seat belt reel. We tried with carpet in but it was easier to remove as one side (passenger side I think) is impossible as its reversed

1QT3ShR.jpg

Carpet removed (easy). Remove speaker surrounds and unhook carpet where speakers are 

OyprtnN.jpg

lower bolt, you can see collar on floor

Zn1Ikt7.jpg

Removing seat belt reel - this is what gets sent off

TCvfw7x.jpg

QZooT3L.jpg

Once re-fitted, they should look like this ...but in red 🙂

E9LccdA.jpg

I looked into this recently, but I wanted to replace my 981's OEM black seatbelts with the correct OEM material, which is a plain twill weave. Most of the aftermarket suppliers can only supply the coloured alternative in "herringbone" type polyester weave, which is not Porsche OEM. When I enquired about the correct twill type, I was told it was out of stock long term. Another project on hold, then ....

Archived