Electrical gremlins ☠️

the baron

So, my 2.5 has developed a weird electrical gremlin, while driving or even stationary with engine on or just turning ignition on the central locking goes a bit haywire locking and un locking two or three times until settling on locked, so i have the red light on the lock switch in the cabin, this also seems to happen while driving, it will lock/unlock several times, this happed for the first time coming back from Beaulieu yesterday.

More annoyingly the passenger window drops about 10mm (as it should) when i open the door sometimes then goes back up then down the up and stays up  so i cant then shut the door without the the window fouling the roof.The drivers side is fine, could this be the window regulator causing all these issue on the passenger side.

Any ideas chaps would appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Tonybandit said:

WATER 🙈🙉🙊

check under the seat. (Passenger) you may have to lift the carpet. Also check the door card where the speaker is and make sure it's not wet there. 

I doubt its water, the car has been garaged most of the last few months and has only been taken out on dry days, but with a check

21 minutes ago, the baron said:

I doubt its water, the car has been garaged most of the last few months and has only been taken out on dry days, but with a check

This is how mine started. 

I hope it isn't as it get expencive. Micro switches as there is about 3 maybe 4 in each door. 

Good luck with it. 👍

I suspect a microswitch in the passenger door lock mechanism.  It's an easy replace (I've done mine) with the matching VW Golf V part.  Alternatively you could try releasing the sticking microswitch in situ which I've also done.  Bypass the external window seal above the door lock and spray the door lock with WD40, Plusgas or similar. Allow it time to work (mine took two days). Additionally, shock the lock by tapping (not too hard) the lock bolts on the edge of the door. 

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

I suspect a microswitch in the passenger door lock mechanism.  It's an easy replace (I've done mine) with the matching VW Golf V part.  Alternatively you could try releasing the sticking microswitch in situ which I've also done.  Bypass the external window seal above the door lock and spray the door lock with WD40, Plusgas or similar. Allow it time to work (mine took two days). Additionally, shock the lock by tapping (not too hard) the lock bolts on the edge of the door. 

Going to give that a go, I think that seems logical

23 hours ago, Boxob said:

I attack the job from inside bu taking the door panel off etc, sprayed it all down with gt85 and will leave it and see what happens, I think i need a new mechanism though the regulator seems good, i replaced the drivers side one a few years back.

31 minutes ago, the baron said:

I attack the job from inside bu taking the door panel off etc, sprayed it all down with gt85 and will leave it and see what happens, I think i need a new mechanism though the regulator seems good, i replaced the drivers side one a few years back.

You can spray the lock area from outside the car by bypassing the rubber window seal above the lock. Use the thin tube which comes with the penetrating oil aerosol. No need to take the door card off.

Don't forget to shock the lock. If you have the door card off you could tap the lock itself to release a sticking microswitch.

51 minutes ago, Boxob said:

You can spray the lock area from outside the car by bypassing the rubber window seal above the lock. Use the thin tube which comes with the penetrating oil aerosol. No need to take the door card off.

Don't forget to shock the lock. If you have the door card off you could tap the lock itself to release a sticking microswitch.

Ive not shocked the lock, bugger, how do I do that from the top, Ive put the door back together now?

25 minutes ago, the baron said:

Ive not shocked the lock, bugger, how do I do that from the top, Ive put the door back together now?

I think it needs tapping with a variable force applicator (hammer) :D

31 minutes ago, the baron said:

Open the door and look at the edge where the lock is. The lock is held by two bolts. Using a variable force applicator tap the end of the bolts. Also try closing the lock on a screwdriver a few times.  Repeat the tapping and closing for a couple of days or until the microswitch frees (if it does).

Hope it works for you as it did me. Been a couple of months now and no repeat problem on my car.

11 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Open the door and look at the edge where the lock is. The lock is held by two bolts. Using a variable force applicator tap the end of the bolts. Also try closing the lock on a screwdriver a few times.  Repeat the tapping and closing for a couple of days or until the microswitch frees (if it does).

Hope it works for you as it did me. Been a couple of months now and no repeat problem on my car.

👍

19 hours ago, Blues N Twos said:

I think it needs tapping with a variable force applicator (hammer) :D

You mean a finely calibrated Birmingham screwdriver ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, Boxob said:

Excellent news. Saves a few bob (or puts off the expenditure for a while).

Spoke to soon, it’s gone back to not opening and locking and unlocking at random and window not dropping, so I’ve ordered a brand new one, heres the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161418382054

it was £34.95 delivered.

OPC wanted £285, not sure what’s going on there, the above apparently is a genuine Porsche part.

Oh well, you gave it a go. Shame it didn't last - I'll let you off the beers but thanks for the initial offer. On a brighter note that fix is still working on mine 😀!

Archived