What is this? Alarm?, GPS?, Aerial? or something else?

JayGee

I was changing the pollen/cabin filter the other day and came across this. Does anyone know what this is for? Has it anything to do with the Alarm, GPS or aerial?

IMG_0231

It lives to the left of the filter has an adhesive pad on one side which i think used to be stuck under the scuttle but there is no residue on the panel.

IMG_0230

Thanks

GPS and FM antennas are in the screen. So it’s not an OEM one of them 

have you got a 3rd party mac system (that “looks” like a gps to me ) but it doesn’t look original to me (too round - Germans have square bits from my experience :) )

tracker ? 

Any part numbers on it. ? 

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

GPS and FM antennas are in the screen. So it’s not an OEM one of them 

have you got a 3rd party mac system (that “looks” like a gps to me ) but it doesn’t look original to me (too round - Germans have square bits from my experience :) )

tracker ? 

Any part numbers on it. ? 

Doh. Mac = nav. Damm you autocorrect. 

Thanks guys, No upgraded  headunit fitted, standard 23 unit. No GPS/satnav or Bose. I saw the square GPS on parts diagrams when trying to find out what it was, but no round unit. It doesn’t have any part numbers on it either.

if it is a tracker, I would be surprised. There is no mention of it in any paperwork I got with the car, one owner before me but did go through a couple of dealers after trade in. If it was a tracker can you contact tracker to find out as I have no paperwork etc?

Whoever fitted it did a good job, I can’t even chase the wires, they go into a black hole never to be seen again.

I don’t think there is a single “tracker” firm to contact.  Given it’s completely anonymous,  wires the same colour and no markings it feels more and more like a tracker. 

Mate had a problem on a 987 after having s tracker fitted.  Ended up at their main agents who discovered it already had one and the two were “arguing” in some way. 

That said I though trackers were normally hidden out of sight somewhere (or at least more buried than that is ) since if it is a tracker having found it I assume (if you were up to no good) you would just cut the wires. 

IIRC it was around 2006 that Porsche were fitting their PTS trackers to all of their cars in build, then just living them up when people requested.

Archived