Anybody swapped out an outer door micro switch

the baron

I tried the usual fixes of wd40 and tapping said lock with a variable force applicator, it only lasted a week and the window is now back to not dropping the desired 10mm

So ordered new micro switch and will attempt to swap it out over the course of the next few days, any advice? Seems to be pretty thin on the ground when searching on here and the internet.

Ta, in advance

25 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Sounds like a lock issue, rather then the handle switch. 

Maybe but they recommended starting with this as its the cheapest part, the lock is hundreds of pounds for the replacement as its the original 8pin rather than the later 9pin, so there like rocking horse poo to find.

If this doesn’t work then yes ill go for the lock, however when symptoms  described over the phone they thought it was this micro switch, so fingers crossed.

If the glass is not staying down when the door is open, then it's almost certainly a microswitch on the lock itself. 

The mk4 pattern golf locks are 8 pin and 20 quid new on ebay. Done both of mine a few years ago now. 

Up to you, but I don't think you can get to the handle microswitch without removing the lock anyway. 

14 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

If the glass is not staying down when the door is open, then it's almost certainly a microswitch on the lock itself. 

The mk4 pattern golf locks are 8 pin and 20 quid new on ebay. Done both of mine a few years ago now. 

Up to you, but I don't think you can get to the handle microswitch without removing the lock anyway. 

Advise noted and your probably right, thanks for the tip re the golf part, that’s good to know, any advice on disassembly?

I wil be taking care not to damage the foam protector but access to the lock itself I’m presuming the two bolts on the outside of the door jam plus and bolts on the inside

Yes, you will only need to peel back the top corner of the door membrane. 

I seem to remember the lock bolts needed a triple drive square bit to remove them, don't think a torx or Allen key will fit. 

It's all pretty straightforward, just a bit of a faff like most jobs.... 

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Yes, you will only need to peel back the top corner of the door membrane. 

I seem to remember the lock bolts needed a triple drive square bit to remove them, don't think a torx or Allen key will fit. 

It's all pretty straightforward, just a bit of a faff like most jobs.... 

Thanks

It seems it’s the wiring harness that connects to the mechanism, as you touch or wiggle its locking and unlocking the door, however i cant remove the mech as i need a triple square drive, which ive never heard of, ive tried Allen keys and torx but can feel it twisting and wrecking the thread, so my fix has come to stop until i can get down to screwfix.

@PaulQ do you have the size needed?

I dont seem to be able to buy a Triple drive square bit, have tried screwfix, Halfords, and all the usual suspects, ebay does but i cant wait a week, anybody any ideas

Don't assume a £20 latch will work.  I bought one (9 pin 8N2837016B), correct part number quoted on ebay but the drivers door wouldn't lock.  I tried several dealers trying to find a Audi equivalent but cheapest one I found was £190 that actually worked. 

If you have the M534/535 alarm fitted, it's nearer £400.

6 hours ago, the baron said:

I dont seem to be able to buy a Triple drive square bit, have tried screwfix, Halfords, and all the usual suspects, ebay does but i cant wait a week, anybody any ideas

Odd, I bought mine from Halfords as a individual socket/bit piece - 8mm multi spline as has been said above. Perhaps just larger branches?

12 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

There is a good reason, two I bought didn't work!

Unlucky. I know of a fair few people who have fitted these with zero problems. 

Maybe the quality varies depending on the supplier? The ones I bought looked good, no different to the OEM product quality wise tbh. 

I swapped the part off my old latch rather than cutting, it was easy enough. 

The problem with my lock is that it seems to be uncommon, ebay sellers list several part numbers that their lock is interchangeable with but they aren't.  I was just unlucky not to have one of the common latches on my car.

There are currently two s/h 8-pin units on Ebay at £75 and £125 each. 

Personally I'd take the origin unit to a VAG dealer and check it against a new MK4 Golf unit. If it too is an 8-pin unit then I chance my £20 on it.

49 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Personally I'd take the origin unit to a VAG dealer and check it against a new MK4 Golf unit. If it too is an 8-pin unit then I chance my £20 on it.

What's the point.? VAG will charge you about 100 quid for a lock not 20.

3 hours ago, PaulQ said:

What's the point.? VAG will charge you about 100 quid for a lock not 20.

I thought they were cheaper than that but you don't have to buy from VAG.  If not then one off eBay.

Archived