Double din MOST head unit direct replacement

GmanB

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before. I have a 2003 S with a factory double din sat nav, along with bose. If my research is correct the head unit connects to the amp via fibre optic MOST. 

I'm reasonable happy with the sound when the CD's don't jump or at least the quality is good enough for me. Ideally, I'm after a direct replacement double din head unit that has fibre optic MOST output and bluetooth, does such a thing exist that would fit a Boxster?

The main reason for this is that I would like to easily be able to pop the original head unit back in if I ever sell it. 

Thanks in advance

In general people fit an after market unit and by-pass the AMP wiring as the MOST opticals are a pain in the backside to incorporate. You might be able to use something used from an early 987/997 but not sure.

Thanks for the replies.

I've seen the MOST converter thing on ebay and even there it's £130 ish. 

I was thinking it will probably be easier to get a new amp, but aren't the old speakers a lower ohm than standard stuff these days and basically mean everything needs replacing?

I replaced my dash speakers but used the sub woofers in the door for a couple of years when I replaced my head unit. 

A new amp made such a big difference to the subwoofers ( I ran the front & rear speakers off the head unit amp), the sound is far better now.  I fitted a double din Pioneer nav unit, hands free, bluetooth streaming, 1000's on songs on a USB and all manner of other modern features really lift the feeling of the interior.

I would advise against the MOST converters, I have tried two, both clearly made by the same Chinese company (claiming German design), neither worked. Instead I intended to try without the amp but frankly now that Ive got over not having an Ipod for my music and gone back to rummaging around for CD’s in the glove box I cant be bothered messing about with it at the moment, the car is enough fun as it is. Maybe I’ll have another go come with winter.

Keith

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 7:04 PM, huytonman said:

I would advise against the MOST converters, I have tried two, both clearly made by the same Chinese company (claiming German design), neither worked. Instead I intended to try without the amp but frankly now that Ive got over not having an Ipod for my music and gone back to rummaging around for CD’s in the glove box I cant be bothered messing about with it at the moment, the car is enough fun as it is. Maybe I’ll have another go come with winter.

Keith

Hey Keith, do you recall which MOST convertors you tried that didn't work? Might just save me the time and frustration going down the rabbit hole of trial n error!

Pretty much generic i.e. no brand name, they all look the same as far as I can tell, state designed in Germany but clearly made in China (mine looks identical to the one in the ad that you sent the details on). I bought the first from Ebay UK, sent it back as none functioning and then the 2nd which "should" have been compatible I bought from Ali express and although it also didnt work the expense of returning it to China put me off so its sitting in the garage.

rgds Keith

Forget the FM transmitters. They are okay but you get lots of noise.

As far as aftermarket head units go ,  you are spoiled for choice. A few of us have opted for the SPH-DA230DAB because it's a reliable unit with apple/android play. 

My car has BOSE, and MOST fibre harness was required.

Can be easily taken out, and original stack put back in at sale time

• 2 months later...

In my 2004 986 S I don't have BOSE but I do have the factory fitted amp in the front boot with a fibre optic cable.  What would i need to do to fit a double din Pioneer unit?

Hello gents , pretty much the same problem   I'm trying to fit a pioneer sph da130dab with a autoleads pc9-408 on my 2004 986 with fibre optic amp and ten speaker Bose set up , everything plugs in where it should but the head unit is not powering up? 

Any auto electricians local to barking who could solve this.

Ta in advance 

On 11/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, Fin said:

Hello gents , pretty much the same problem   I'm trying to fit a pioneer sph da130dab with a autoleads pc9-408 on my 2004 986 with fibre optic amp and ten speaker Bose set up , everything plugs in where it should but the head unit is not powering up? 

Any auto electricians local to barking who could solve this.

Ta in advance 

Out of interest what MOST adapter did you use for the fibre optic cable to the amp?

Archived