17” or 18” alloys

overdale

Anyone got any advice or views on which sizes are better for a S 986 boxster ( if any ) 

Currently have 17” but looking to change to 18” for diff style alloy 

Just not sure how the tyres differ on going up a notch either so would appreciate any help 

Guessing would have to change my Pirelli tyres unless I find an all inclusive set

cheers 

Going up in wheel size will mean dropping in side wall ratio. 265 40 17 will be around the same size as a 265 35 18. Its hard to give out propper sizes of side wall as its a ratio not an actual size. 

Don't quote me on the sizes as I only used as a comparison. Your sizes may differ. 

I have 18" Turbo style (C4S, not hollow) on my 986 2.7.

8" front width with 225/40/18 and 10" width with 265/35/18 on the rear.

When I first got the car it felt very harsh in the ride department, with lots of crashing and banging. I have since had a major amount

of work done on the suspension (Coffin arms, tuning forks, ARB bushes, top mounts, drop links). Now the car is transformed and rides much better. 

It still likes to aquaplane on standing water though !!!

Steve. 

If you want it to be pretty and make the girls smile, go for 18s. If you want to drive it like you stole it without losing your fillings, go with 17s. 

Aquaplaning can be bothersome. Nothing that can’t be fixed or replaced usually though. 

The difference in sidewall height between the two is about 10mm.

I wouldnt have thought this in itself would make a massive difference. Maybe the wheel and tyre weight itself plays a bigger part here.? 

As above some say 18" ruin the ride/handling, where as others have done the swap from 17" to 18" and said they could'nt really tell any difference.

Run both OE 18 and 17 as well as aftermarket(AM) 18 the weight difference is readily felt when handling the tyre’d wheels. 

Unless you source light 18” you’ll generally get a better ride on 17” - much of this in my experience is down to the reduced unsprung weight. Yes the deeper side wall helps but OE18 on MPS do not ride as well as the AM18 on R888R - same tyre sizes all round. 

Archived