Making hardtop lightweight

The return of Marty Wild

Anyone had any experience of ‘single skinning’ the OEM hardtop?

Chap on another forum that does a bit of racing in Boxsters said he’d put his hardtop on a diet by ripping out non essential items and swapping out the glass windscreen.

Has anyone ever done this? Couldn’t see any vids on YT.

Cheers for any input!

I’m still coming to terms with the lack of 987, bear with me haha

Don’t physically have either at the mo. Maybe that should read Golf mkVI GT :)

Tis a point worth considering, is there a lot to the hardtop then? Perhaps could drown squeaks out by removing engine bay sound deadening! Haha 

Ive done the opposite ive ripped out the headlining and replaced it with alcantara and covered all the plastic parts in alcantara, nice place to be in the winter.

3 hours ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

Pics?

Sounds like I’m alone in this plan then.

heres a link to my thread re the recovering, whats the reason for making the hardtop lighter, are you racing it? If not then the whole purpose of a hard top is to make the cabin quieter, warmer and dryer, removing the skin wouldn’t do that.

Will check it out, cheers.

Having lost my Cayman, this is the first time I’ve ever got a car which was slower than the previous one. Just up for easy speed, car is to be a Track day car and weekend toy. Not too fussed about creature comforts, considering losing the sound system and whatever else I can. Free speed is the name of the game and enjoying the project.

Car will bed kept outside though, so water ingress is definitely a consideration. Would ripping everything out make it more prone to leaks then do we think?

If you want light and cheap and free why not make the roof manual? Remove the motors. It is after all canvas so fairly light already. 

Yeah considered that, don’t particularly like the look of the soft top when up though. And the plastic window is tiny and knackered. When making progress, think it’s wise to be able to have good vision behind you. Appreciate the glass versions back window is a touch bigger.

Ive already lined up the hardtop, just wondered if there was any advice to making it lighter.

You should have just kept the Cayman 😁 I would read @marseille long thread on his car. He saved at least 150+kgs 

I know I must come across as a lunatic. Since becoming a dad in September, I literally drove my Cayman about 5 times. I just couldn’t justify best part of 20k sitting outside the house doing sod all. Drove a Boxster as a courtesy car, thought to myself, bugger me this is a lot of car for the money. Was then jokingly offered it when I got back to pick up my Cayman.

Wouldn't you but know it... I now own said courtesy car. 4 bags with an amazing works list, it was a customer car before they bought it as a courtesy car. So I’ve seen every single piece of work done back to 2013, makes for happy viewing.

I cycle to work, every journey I ever undertook my missus was with me. So stands to reason once Bub came he’d be expecting a lift too! Cayman sat round, I went from being wary of putting miles on to setting reminders to take her out and blow out the cobwebs. So in short, I love Porsche, always have done. I’m still in the fold, have a fun car and my bank balance is immeasurably more happy.

Also I’ve never modded a car, so this represents a new experience for me.  

4 hours ago, edc said:

If you want light and cheap and free why not make the roof manual? Remove the motors. It is after all canvas so fairly light already. 

I think this is probably the solution! Removing the softtop to replace it with a hardtop seems a bit pointless to me, especially since the hardtop will offer no benefits in terms of rigidity.

Not gonna happen, I’ve sourced a hardtop for less than the cost of putting the later gen softie on. And as said, I bought the car for the badge, engine, MR, bang for buck...

The fact Boxsters are convertible was a hit I was willing to take knowing I could whack a hardtop on.

Just spoke to my Indie, looks like I’m picking her up on Friday. ECU been coded for the Lenny Magic Box :)

With regard to rigidity, I’m looking at cage options and the Brey Krause roll over extension. As well has a harness bar... so I’m thinking about that sort of stuff too.

Sounds like removing all of the soft top and associated mechanisms is the way to go for you.  May be worth keeping for resale although if you intend to track it extensively this may become less relevant.

Another thing to think about is ditching the seats for some light weight buckets - I'm sure that would save a fair bit.  Aircon delete?  Lighter wheels?  Empty washer fluid tank?

I was thinking do I need to keep for later resale, but to be honest I have nowhere to store anything and I plan to keep the car forever.

Seats are already up for sale, going to whack some carbon buckets in. 28kg of saving in one hit!

Would keep aircon, that’s definite. I like track days but I’m no aspiring racer.

Of course wheels would be good, weight and rotational mass so big savings. Will consider that in the future. Been trying to find out how much one the ones on their weigh. They’re the cost option ‘Carrera S II’ apparently.

Have you tried tracking the car as is? 

Before you jump into a load of work thst might not be required, why not bench mark the car as is? How else will you know if all your efforts are even worth a damn? 🤷🏾‍♂️

At least get some lap times somewhere you’ll enjoy, and that challenges the car a bit. Then compare times after each mod. 

I think you’ll be shocked at how much work Porsche put in, so you don’t have to🤓

I think this is a really good shout. Having done quite a few track days now on my "close to standard" 2.5, the only thing I'd really want to change would be better seats and harnesses... Which then require a cage. 

Literally owned the car for nearly 8 hours as I’m writing this, but tis a good point.

The drive home was great, the shifting mods, gearbox oil was 1 million % worth it. When I drove the car before as a courtesy car, the shift was noticeably worse than my Cayman. The shift now p*sses over said Cayman. Was really money very well spent.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:41 PM, The return of Marty Wild said:

I was thinking do I need to keep for later resale, but to be honest I have nowhere to store anything and I plan to keep the car forever.

Seats are already up for sale, going to whack some carbon buckets in. 28kg of saving in one hit!

Would keep aircon, that’s definite. I like track days but I’m no aspiring racer.

Of course wheels would be good, weight and rotational mass so big savings. Will consider that in the future. Been trying to find out how much one the ones on their weigh. They’re the cost option ‘Carrera S II’ apparently.

What colour are you seats your selling?

Archived