981 roof stuck halfway open

zagamuffin

So first problem with my new 981 ,well second as got a puncture 24hrs after collecting it.The roof has stopped opening halfway through travel,car has some history of this issue and has had some parts changed at Porsche Tewksbury,unfortunately they won’t tell me what parts due to data protection ??.

car was sent into them pre purchase to sort it out and they returned the car without report so thought it was sorted.

i checked the battery voltage as it had a new battery at the same dealer two months ago and it’s down at 12.9 which is a little low so I’m charging as we speak.Anyone know the procedure to close it manually in case the charged battery doesn’t sort it ?

34143-B1-C-9161-4-D15-9-A1-E-6-ED4-D030-
2-E752-B90-4-B1-E-4327-881-E-7-E7804-E3-

55 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

So first problem with my new 981 ,well second as got a puncture 24hrs after collecting it.The roof has stopped opening halfway through travel,car has some history of this issue and has had some parts changed at Porsche Tewksbury,unfortunately they won’t tell me what parts due to data protection ??.

car was sent into them pre purchase to sort it out and they returned the car without report so thought it was sorted.

i checked the battery voltage as it had a new battery at the same dealer two months ago and it’s down at 12.9 which is a little low so I’m charging as we speak.Anyone know the procedure to close it manually in case the charged battery doesn’t sort it ?

34143-B1-C-9161-4-D15-9-A1-E-6-ED4-D030-
2-E752-B90-4-B1-E-4327-881-E-7-E7804-E3-

Low voltage . a fully charged battery is 12.7 volts?

Ah, new to Porsche, would have seen 13.5/13.9v in all my previous cars .read here that slightly reduced voltage play havoc with systems....

well ive fully charged the battery and it’s now closed the roof so co-incidence or was that the issue, I’ll monitor and not open roof away from home for a bit

9 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

Ah, new to Porsche, would have seen 13.5/13.9v in all my previous cars .read here that slightly reduced voltage play havoc with systems....

well ive fully charged the battery and it’s now closed the roof so co-incidence or was that the issue, I’ll monitor and not open roof away from home for a bit

A 12v battery is a 12v battery whatever car its in. When are you getting that reading? During charging state yes expect that reading . At fully charged battery at rest is around 12.7 v

I had problems with my roof in the first year where the system seemed to have no idea where the roof was in it’s range of travel. The manual and the Porsche “good to know” app have instructions on how to close the roof. If you ever have to do that and need to remove the roof latch cover, once you’ve  unclipped  the two clips of the cover at the front, DO NOT pivot it down to remove it; Push it back away from the front of the roof to release the rear clip. If you don’t, you’ll crack the rear clip. Sadly, this is all from bitter experience. Reinstallation is even more fiddly!

As for the battery, it sounds in good health and, if you raise or lower the roof with the engine running, plays virtually no part in the process.

In my case, they first replaced both control modules, one on the passenger side floor and the one that is integral to the roof latching mechanism. That didn’t work so they then replaced every microswitch on the whole mech. It hasn’t messed up since and I’m one of those freaks that always has my roof down if it isn’t wet....sometimes even when it’s sub zero outside!.......so it gets used a lot.

it sounds to me like you have an intermittent fault. Good luck.

11 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

has had some parts changed at Porsche Tewksbury,unfortunately they won’t tell me what parts due to data protection ??

This is utter b*ll*x. Data protection is to do with personal details.  If they photocopy the parts list with the previous owner's details blanked out, there is no DP issue.

2 hours ago, Jofoley said:

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer/OPC?

bought private but had been worked on by opc and went back again presale as roof failed on viewing the car, returned and all was good but three days later issue again.

2 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

A 12v battery is a 12v battery whatever car its in. When are you getting that reading? During charging state yes expect that reading . At fully charged battery at rest is around 12.7 v

went out this morning and dash volts showed 12.7 for first 5 miles of travel so suspected alternator issue maybe but then popped up to 13.9 and stayed there all journey b????

3 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

went out this morning and dash volts showed 12.7 for first 5 miles of travel so suspected alternator issue maybe but then popped up to 13.9 and stayed there all journey b????

All sounds good ref the charging 

I had a similar problem with my 981, although it would continue to open if I repulled the switch after it stopped. Brooklands OPC couldn’t find the problem, but someone posted about their issue on Planet 9 in the US. After many attempts to fix, including someone from Porsche NA flying out, they tracked it down to one of the micro switches.

I passed the details onto Brooklands who agreed to change both of them under my extended warranty. Hasn’t been a single problem with the roof since (about 2 years later).

Good luck.

Archived