18" Carrera Lightweight Alloy Coffee Table.

el 3.2S

In addition to the set of four lightweight alloys which I bought from Saxosim, I also bought a slightly damaged (hairline fracture) one from E bay. I paid  £30 with free postage to my parents' house in Inverness. My sister then very sportingly said she would bring it to Spain in her suitcase (along with my 911 induction system!):lol:. Am sure Ryanair would have charged more for the luggage on the Aberdeen to Malaga flight, if they had known what it was lol.

Anyway cleaned up the wheel and sprayed and laquered it. I sabotaged an old round wooden table, which was lying about, by removing the top and slightly filing down the centre spindle to give a nice snug fit on the wheel. Sprayed the table black and glued in the wheel to the table. I sourced a 60cm glass top for €20 from a local second hand shop. I put 5 blobs of clear silicone on the wheel and set the glass in place. This will sit in my garage and am now looking for old Chesterfield style sofa to accompany it:).

Perhaps a bit like Blue Peter but no sticky back plastic or cornflakes packets were used in the making of ths table:lol:.

A few pics of said table:

imageASimageimage

And being put to use:

imageimage

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Tough guys out there in Spain.  They even drink their coffee from beer bottles.

Have always thought the coffee tasted like beer! Fortunately I lined up the centre cap and valve before fixing down the glass.

For the set of 4 for the car, am contemplating buying some decent tyres for them and then sell on the wheels & ditch finders which are currently on the car.

I like it, although I think metal legs would of suited it better, ive got a couple of spare alloys in the garage, I might give it a go once I’ve finished doing jobs around the house which seems never ending.

Agreed, if it's in the man cave/garage I think something like this would be perfect. Looks like you just need to find an old office chair and take the top off:

Starbase-with-Wheels.jpg

Instead of the Chesterfield, how about a Boxster sports seat? You know you really don't want to share your 'coffee' with anyone else! 

This was just a quick first pass really, using readily avaiable and cheap materials! Agree that metal legs would be preferable. If I see a suitable office chair in the second hand shop then I may attempt a version 2.0

In the meantime I could try painting the table legs silver.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, EXY said:

Green for envy perhaps 🤔

Will have to try it lights out, green leds on & green bottle of Carlsberg.

2 hours ago, Mr96er said:

What an utterly cool garage! 

It is an ok place to be now, has wifi too. May even work on my cars in between:).

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

2 months and the Carrera Lightweights are still not on the Boxster! Have you decided on tyres? Maybe next year? 😂

Haha yes you are quite right, they are still in their boxes, as is a fancy air intake system bought around the same time:lol:. Strangely I was looking at tyre prices today and if I am to buy decent ones then the Michelin PS4 seem well recommended, but pricey at €630 fitted. The Aberdonian in me says transfer over the ditch finders as there is loads of life left in them lol.

Archived