More torque 981 GTS

Robert007

Can anyone suggest the most effective and best approaches to improving torque in a 981 GTS Boxster. I drove the M4 Z4 BMW the other day and the torque differences are huge. I was wondering how I could get my GTS closer to give it more grunt for want of another word?

Buy a 718 GTS? I drove one at the PEC - quite a different engine compared to that in the 981 GTS.

The M4 has twin turbos; as a result it has bags and bags of torque across the rev range. There's nothing much you can do to a normally aspirated engine to match a turbo engine's torque. I would suggest *not* wasting your money with a remap; the gains will be marginal to non-existent. Enjoy the howl of the flat 6 in the upper half of the rev range.

If you want high torque at low revs you don’t want a NA engine, buy a turbo or diesel, as Carmine says I wouldn’t waste time trying to improve this in the GTS, a lot of money could be spent for minimal gain.  You have all the wheel torque you need you just need to use the gears to access it.

The 718 may be your ideal car.

You just need to learn to thrash it, the flat 6 thrives on revs and rewards you with a lovely howl!

Just modify your driving technique, you have nearly 8,000 revs to play with!

Turbo is the lazy solution...do you really want that?

After a day at AET Motorsport they achieved an extra 25.6 ftlbs of torque and 31 bhp from my 981s, approx 10%. Very good for a NA engine. There is a thread on here somewhere 🧐

2 hours ago, mneil said:

After a day at AET Motorsport they achieved an extra 25.6 ftlbs of torque and 31 bhp from my 981s, approx 10%. Very good for a NA engine. There is a thread on here somewhere 🧐

This is the way to go if you want to try something.  But bear in mind that the BMW has over 500Nm of torque and the Boxster is around 360 so it isn’t going to get you near to the  effect of the big bmw turbos (but power figures are similar so Wheel torque would be similar with suitable gear usage).

3 hours ago, mneil said:

That sounds a lot for an n/a tune, what was done do you know , had to be mote than tune/map I’d say 

my car at AET. In total there were three versions of the original map. They didn't cut corners, was on the Dyno for a total of 6 hours before they were satisfied.

Archived