Handbrake adjustment.

DaveEFI

Interested in this myself.

Had the rear discs / pads changed last year by an Indy & to be honest the handbrake hasn’t held well ever since. 

In February 2006 they changed the handbrake from a 12 to 20 teeth ratchet. I'm not aware of much else changing. 

When doing the shoes, setting them up so they're  balanced on both sides requires a torque wrench. It can be done by feel but it's not very accurate. 

Not sure what you mean? If it's the same as my last car, you lever the adjuster round with a screwdriver though a wheel stud hole. You tighten it as far as possible, than back a couple of clicks. Not the easiest job to do, though.

2 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Interested in this myself.

Had the rear discs / pads changed last year by an Indy & to be honest the handbrake hasn’t held well ever since. 

Have you tried bedding the shoes in? Drive with the handbrake just on slightly for a couple of miles at slow speed. But if starting from scratch with new shoes, the cable has to be loose first. Then adjust the shoes correctly. Then the handbrake cable. If you start out with the cable too tight, you'll never get it working properly. (All this from my previous car with the same sort of handbrake)

• 2 weeks later...

Handbrake now adjusted and travel fine. Just adjusting the shoes sorted it. But I'd not describe it as silky in operation, although it works well. Is there anything that needs lubrication - or would new cables sort it? I'd describe the slight movement before the brakes come on as 'sticky'. Can creak a bit too.

On 15 July 2019 at 8:11 PM, RickLS7 said:

Here's the guide. 

987 doesn't have the manual adjuster under the arm rest so adjustment is how you did it Dave:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment.htm

That's for a 986, 987 does not have adjustment under the arm rest, it's done on the rears and reliant once adjusted correctly the auto adjuster does its job.

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

That's for a 986, 987 does not have adjustment under the arm rest, it's done on the rears and reliant once adjusted correctly the auto adjuster does its job.

Yes, I said that. 

The guide also covers the 987 and shows how to adjust at the rear wheels.

This reminds me I need to re visit this area. When fitting new discs and pads some months ago, I attempted to adjust the handbrake due to it not working very well. Think I overdid it as the handbrake seems to be on all the time now. I found it quite hard to count the 9 notches when you have to back it off, so maybe that is where I went wrong?  One good thing was it sailed through the "mot" with the handbrake as it is now, whereas last year it struggled and only just made it.

30 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

This reminds me I need to re visit this area. When fitting new discs and pads some months ago, I attempted to adjust the handbrake due to it not working very well. Think I overdid it as the handbrake seems to be on all the time now. I found it quite hard to count the 9 notches when you have to back it off, so maybe that is where I went wrong?  One good thing was it sailed through the "mot" with the handbrake as it is now, whereas last year it struggled and only just made it.

Sounds exactly like mine after fitting new discs - I couldn't get them on without loosening the handbrake, then it felt v loose in use, but still got thru the MOT.  It was like the inside of the disc was a slightly different shape.

BTW, does anyone actually use their handbrake.  I hardly ever use it preferring a quick right foot shuffle off the brake and onto the accelerator with a little clutch balance and away I go.

1 hour ago, 911-32 said:

BTW, does anyone actually use their handbrake.  I hardly ever use it preferring a quick right foot shuffle off the brake and onto the accelerator with a little clutch balance and away I go.

Actually I use my handbrake quite a lot, well in the few times that I actually use my car, that is. When stuck in traffic or at lights I use it so as not to heat the discs too much, as would be the case when keeping the foot brake applied - maybe a popular myth but that is what I was lead to believe?  Do not use it when parked in the garage though.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:11 PM, RickLS7 said:

Here's the guide. 

987 doesn't have the manual adjuster under the arm rest so adjustment is how you did it Dave:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment.htm

Not my question, as it works well and  now has the correct lever travel. Just that the lever is a bit sticky to move. Not so nice to use as my previous Boxster.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:41 AM, el 3.2S said:

When stuck in traffic or at lights I use it so as not to heat the discs too much, as would be the case when keeping the foot brake applied - maybe a popular myth but that is what I was lead to believe?  

I don't understand this at all.  You are stationary after normal driving and worried about heat transfer?  At a track day after track pace laps you should leave the car stationary and in gear and no handbrake.  That one I know, but on the road?

Archived