Pump blowing accessory socket fuse

Simon Thorpe

Hello all,

Plugged my OE 12v pump into my cigarette lighter/ accessory socket today to top up my tyres.  Cut out after a few seconds running.  Found the fuse for that circuit had blown.  Replaced - same thing happened a second time.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I’ve used the pump before with no problem, so wondering what’s changed.  Fuse is 7.5A, which is correct according to the booklet in the fuse panel.

I’ve ordered a new foot pump (analogue method), but that won’t help me if I get a puncture unless I lug it around - not v Porsche.

Best wishes, Simon.

Check the socket to make sure there’s not a coin dropped in there creating random shorts (guess how I got to this as an option.)

if not there are plenty of 12v ciggy lighter powered compressors out there. I ha e a variety on the various cars of Halfords and “petrol station AA branded “ ones.  A quick hunt around and you will find one that will sit in the recess in the tool tray. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I thought this was known and the pump should only be used from a certain socket? (Or is it that one?)

Or am I confusing it with my family car? :blush:

My car has two sockets. Centre console and footwell. 

I think the footwell one says “just for pumps and battery tender”. But I think it really means “don’t put a cigarette lighter in the footwell” rather than don’t put a pump in the console. 

I figure  the cigarette lighter draws more than a pump but that’s just guessing. 

Also learned the hard way. The socket in the rear compartment has a 7.5A fuse. It blew when I tried the inflator!

The middle socket (nearest handbrake) is rated at 10A and works just fine with Porsche (or 3rd party) inflator.

8 hours ago, Pinewood said:

Also learned the hard way. The socket in the rear compartment has a 7.5A fuse. It blew when I tried the inflator!

The middle socket (nearest handbrake) is rated at 10A and works just fine with Porsche (or 3rd party) inflator.

Every day is a learning day - never knew this!

Archived