Touch up paints

zagamuffin

Anyone used and have links for AGATE GREY touch up pens with base/clear mixed. Would like to do some chip fills before I buy a DA and try a correction and ceramic coat by my self

cheers

zaga

Possible watch-out on this: i bought touch-up for my agate BGTS from my local OPC, few months after getting the car (car was just 2 years old when I bought it).

didnt use the touch up until @Saxosim went to help me touch-in a couple of tiny chips before I took the car to drop off for ceramic coating, recently. The paint was Black!! As in proper black, not a very dark Grey.

part number on the packaging was correct for Agate - sorry I’ve binned it and don’t now have the packaging, nor the original receipt. Was bloody miffed as I couldn’t get the chips sorted before sealing-over with the ceramic coating. My own fault for leaving it last minute.

second OPC checked their system and paint code coming up wrong on touch-up for Agate, so check and triple check what you get!!

Not a touch up pen, but I used the Chipex Agate grey (M7S) https://www.chipex.co.uk/kit-select/ and the colour match was perfect.. but the main stone chip I was trying to sort out was just too deep for it to look anything more than amateurish.  I think I'll end up with some professional sorting it out

48351269002_09fd648067_b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Withy said:

Not a touch up pen, but I used the Chipex Agate grey (M7S) https://www.chipex.co.uk/kit-select/ and the colour match was perfect.. but the main stone chip I was trying to sort out was just too deep for it to look anything more than amateurish.  I think I'll end up with some professional sorting it out

48351269002_09fd648067_b.jpg

Yes I second chipex.  I have the Arctic silver version for mine and the colour match is spot on

My car is not Agate (Aqua Blue) and I used a touch up paint I got from ebay to address a couple of small stone chips (nothing like as big as the ones in the picture above). When ordering from the ebay seller I just told them the make, model and reg no of the car and the paint colour/code and it arrived a few days later.

ebay item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271058487575

I also purchased a fine painting pen and got decent results for the small chips I was working on - see this thread

Hope that helps.

PS I too was originally planning to address the stone chips before polishing/correcting with a DA and applying a ceramic coating but a skiing accident at the end of March has delayed that slightly! What ceramic coating were you going to use - I assume you were going to apply it yourself?

I've use the same supplier as smartin for Atlas Grey and colour match is pretty good. Can definitely recommend the Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen - much easier than a toothpick.

On 23 July 2019 at 11:49 AM, zagamuffin said:

Havnt done the research yet but Gtechiq seems to be popular 

As machine polishing and ceramic coatings were all new to me, I'm starting with Gyeon Can Coat as it is relatively inexpensive and can do more than once from one bottle. I only managed to get bonnet and rear boot lid/bumper done as a test. It looked great when first applied but not sure about claims of self cleaning and beading as as soon the car gets wet, it still dries on dirty. Maybe I didn't apply it properly - done outside as garage is too small to work around the car.

Will give it another go in a couple of weeks or so.

Have seen CQuartz UK 3.0 recommended a few times, too. There's so many choices out there, though 🙄

Archived