eBay Short Shifter

Sanky

I have manged to get a cheap used gear shift from a 986, that I plan to covert to a short shift.  Using one of those kits from eBay.

Has anyone had any experience with these short shift kits and would you recommend any, or are they all pretty much the same.

Do a search on here as it comes up a bit, but......

Was looking at this for my986 and 'research' suggests that they are ok but set for LHD cars so you need to rotate the gear lever to get it to sit correctly for RHD.

I believe an OE option is to fit a good used 987 shifter.

I'm sure others will be along with actual experience.

I dont believe they are not set up for LHD, they will fit LHD or RHD. Many of the Chinese ebays ones have been assembled incorrectly. The shaft is the wrong way around so sits way too far to the left, no matter what side you sit when driving you really want the shaft to be central. You would need to take it apart and install it correctly so the shaft is central, ..............or ask your passenger to change gear for you!

1 hour ago, T911UK said:

I dont believe they are not set up for LHD, they will fit LHD or RHD. Many of the Chinese ebays ones have been assembled incorrectly. The shaft is the wrong way around so sits way too far to the left, no matter what side you sit when driving you really want the shaft to be central. You would need to take it apart and install it correctly so the shaft is central, ..............or ask your passenger to change gear for you!

LOL,

I have read that lever may need tuning around, that shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Just need to decide where to buy the kit from.

They are set up for LH drive as the yanks buy far more of them than we do, just undo the bolt and turn the shaft round. They are quite "notchy" as is, I fitted the roller bearing kit from a member on here and that improved it a lot. Personally I love it now, some however don't like them and some fit a shifter from a later model Boxster that is smoother, but still not as short a shift as the Chinese model, Pays yer money, takes yer choice. Take time getting the cables right, if the are wrong you won't even get it into gear.

I made one of these up in the winter I haven't fitted it yet but I took a load of pictures,  I'll see if I can upload them and make a how to thread

All the ones with the blue anodised bushes are basically the same one sourced via Alibaba or AliExpress. 

3 hours ago, Southy said:

I made one of these up in the winter I haven't fitted it yet but I took a load of pictures,  I'll see if I can upload them and make a how to thread

That was my idea as well to make it up in winter, then fit maybe spring.  Could always revert back to stock if I didn't get on with it.

If you have the complete surround/box then once the centre console is off, simplifying a bit, you just drop it in and connect up the cables. Mark the cables and use the alignment tool where necessary. If memory is right the alignment tool doesn't fit the blue bush aftermarket shifter as there is a hump of metal for the central pivot that stops the tool clipping on. 

Archived