Wheel spacers

rhys57

I am thinking about adding some wheel spacers to My 987.1 2.7 since I had the car lowered on ebaich springs the wheels sit in a little to much. I was thinking about 15mm at the back and 7mm at the front. Now I'm not sure which ones to get and will they affect the geo on the car since I had it setup at centre gravity??? Thanks 

If you lowered the car after going to Centre Gravity then you have already screwed what they did.

As for changing the track, the car will tramline more, not turn in so sharply and it will affect your spring rates.

Spacers won't alter the geo as such, but the scrub radius will change due to the wider track. 

They are all much of a muchness tbh, apart from some have studs/nuts instead of using longer bolts. Make sure they are a tight fit on the hub, and all mounting surfaces are clean & flat etc.

Not a huge fan myself as they will increase weight /load on your wheel bearings, but many people fit them and seem happy with the results. 

Spacers - like different offset wheels - are just a way of increasing track width and can be used to change handling balance a fraction if you increase track width at one end more than the other.  They don't change the direction the wheels are pointed though.  I have them front and rear on my 987 and given I run coilovers and front top mounts and hence a lot more negative camber, it would look slightly odd without them.  Wheel/tyre tops would be tucked well inboard of the arches.  The increased front track width also helps front turn-in on my car.  I have widened my front track a little more than the rear and even though there is scope for more rear track width, I choose not to because of that slight change in handling balance.   

Porsche have used spacers on various models from time to time (eg., 930, 928, Mk1 GT3), so there is nothing inherently wrong with using them.  Other consequences noted above like fractional decrease in spring rate due to leverage and small increase in bearing load should not really deter unless you are super risk averse.  I think the biggest downside is probably when they are non-hubcentric as it is possible to introduce slight wheel vibration as the wheels can be inadvertently mounted fractionally off from hub centric.  However, having had spacers on every Porsche I have owned (IIRC) and never had an incurable vibration, this issue may also be overstated.  I do however prefer to ditch the wheel bolts and use longer wheels studs with open ended nuts when using spacers for ease of wheel changing.  Also, spacers are a modification so presumably notify your insurers.

6 hours ago, 911-32 said:

I think the biggest downside is probably when they are non-hubcentric as it is possible to introduce slight wheel vibration as the wheels can be inadvertently mounted fractionally off from hub centric.  However, having had spacers on every Porsche I have owned (IIRC) and never had an incurable vibration, this issue may also be overstated. 

Surely they are all hub centric rather then lug centric ? 

With a 5 or 7mm shim you just have less of the mounting flange sticking out, but it's still hub centric.

With the thicker spacers they extend the mounting flange, but both are still using the centre bore and not the lug nuts/bolts for centering of the wheels

Yes, the increased camber from lowering does tuck the wheels in a bit at the top, but changing to a wider wheel seems like a more elegant solution then spacers, though I can see why people use them. 

I have 7/15mm spacers on my Cayman it sits perfectly in my opinion. Far cheaper option than a lower offset set of wheels.

Make sure you replace your lug bolts too and can get locking wheel nuts with the longer thread as I struggled to get locking nuts for mine.

The majority here dump the locking nuts and replace with standard. Wheel theft is very rare - locking your nut key in the frunk due to a flat battery is much more common!

5 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

This is my 987 with 7mm and 15mm spacers, looks so much better, 

44940352582_b0ba0f1e2e_b.jpg 

30053020987_6ac3ab9ac0_b.jpg

P.s how something looks should always take president over function 😂👍🏻

They look great mate what make are they please 

@rhys57 I am contemplating doing the same on my 987.1 2.7. 

Research has led me to these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15MM-HUBCENTRIC-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACERS-LONGER-BOLTS-FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-2B10P45-/322565602397

they come with 10 new bolts. Unless you are looking locking nuts.....

Seller also does 7mm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7MM-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACER-KIT-BOLTS-FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-981-2A10P37-/322569916346

I just haven’t gotten round to buying them, but it’s on my to do list. 

19 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

@rhys57 I am contemplating doing the same on my 987.1 2.7. 

Research has led me to these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15MM-HUBCENTRIC-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACERS-LONGER-BOLTS-FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-2B10P45-/322565602397

they come with 10 new bolts. Unless you are looking locking nuts.....

Seller also does 7mm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7MM-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACER-KIT-BOLTS-FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-981-2A10P37-/322569916346

I just haven’t gotten round to buying them, but it’s on my to do list. 

Not sure how, good these are

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, PaulQ said:

Surely they are all hub centric rather then lug centric ? 

With a 5 or 7mm shim you just have less of the mounting flange sticking out, but it's still hub centric.

With the thicker spacers they extend the mounting flange, but both are still using the centre bore and not the lug nuts/bolts for centering of the wheels

Yes, the increased camber from lowering does tuck the wheels in a bit at the top, but changing to a wider wheel seems like a more elegant solution then spacers, though I can see why people use them. 

Late coming back on this, but yes, flat shims are kind of hub centric, however you then have less hub for the wheel itself to centre on - which is the important part obviously.  No problem if its 5-7mm shims as the hub still protrudes through the shim centre.  I have stacked shims on the rear meaning none of the original centre piece of the hub protrudes for the wheel to centre on.  Hence my rear wheels are now lug centric.  I also have stacked shims on the front but have a fancy shim with 3 centre prongs to keep the hub centric attachment point so the front wheels remain hub centric mounted.

People commonly describe the bolt on spacers that replicate the original hub centre ring as hub centric and flat shims as non hub centric.

I would reiterate my opinion that there is nothing wrong with shims or spacers per se and again note that Porsche have used them on various models throughout the years.  Its a lot easier and cheaper than changing to a different offset wheel, if you can even find the offset you want.

Archived