Hearing a whine!!

Remodot

Voice 002.m4aI am hearing a whine from the engine, think its always been there but it may be getting louder, not sure if it is, or my imagination. The whine is same with and without clutch depressed, in or out of gear. Might it be normal? Water pump? Or other? I've attached a sound clip, hope it can be heard. Thanks

5 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Voice 002.m4aI am hearing a whine from the engine, think its always been there but it may be getting louder, not sure if it is, or my imagination. The whine is same with and without clutch depressed, in or out of gear. Might it be normal? Water pump? Or other? I've attached a sound clip, hope it can be heard. Thanks

Sounds like something on the serpentine belt. I'd remove the belt and check all the pulleys for play. Try the engine for a few seconds without the belt to see if the noise goes away.

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

Just open the passenger door and let her out!!!

Odd, I can even hear a whine in the house!!!!

Will have time tomorrow or Sunday to get to the belt and investigate further. 

Sounds like it's the serpentine belt tensioner, the 2 idle pulleys don't sound to great either. I removed them and can actually feel that they are worn.

All 3 ordered and by the way not cheap, best deal I could get was £164 with prices going as high as almost £275 (I didn't check dealer). The 2 idle rollers are hard to find and can cost as much as £95 each!!!. I got Gates items from carpartsonline, they advertise a 20% discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived