Anyone refurbished centre console?

Dicky-Art

3 hours ago, detail1 said:

from memory I found my wife's nail varnish remover did a good job of softening it, not sure if it was acetone or acetone free though 🙂.

That's a good thought. Nail varnish wipes would probably work well. Don't think they're as potent as acetone itself, though I do also have a bottle of that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ve found a link but my Flickr is playing up but they used gasket remover and a hot soapy water.

It sounds like you can’t let the gasket remover sit on there too long with out rinsing it of but apparently it works very well removing the soft coat 👍

43 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I ve found a link but my Flickr is playing up but they used gasket remover and a hot soapy water.

It sounds like you can’t let the gasket remover sit on there too long with out rinsing it of but apparently it works very well removing the soft coat 👍

OK good to know. Never heard of gasket remover but i will research it now!

On 6/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, 89rallye said:

@Boxstercol sorry mate just picking this up now, take out the blanking plate and you should be able to see how the switch locates,my painter ended up taking it out and was cringing watching him ,sorry can't be more help

also look at Details1 picture at the top of the page you can see the 4 tabs

No worries & thanks for your reply. The blanking plate on the console I’ve bought is in there tight, knowing my luck I’ll get it out but split the console doing so! 😂

Might have a crack at changing it over the next few days...

Update: for anyone thinking of doing this there are some good videos on Youtube showing removal of soft touch coatings. Most are in German, so it helps if, like me, you speak the lingo. General gist is it's easy to remove using thinners or Acetone, e.g. 

Here's one in English:

• 1 month later...

Update: spent the afternoon removing the soft coat on a console i bought from ebay. Used about half a 250 ml bottle of acetone based nail polish remover (£1 in Boots) and a coarse Scotch pad. Easy peasy!! Wet sand next.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, red rocket said:

Update: spent the afternoon removing the soft coat on a console i bought from ebay. Used about half a 250 ml bottle of acetone based nail polish remover (£1 in Boots) and a coarse Scotch pad. Easy peasy!! Wet sand next.

I bet it generated a hell of a mess... Glad it worked though.

9 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

I bet it generated a hell of a mess... Glad it worked though.

No mess worth talking about. The covering is pretty thin and just comes off in bits. Easily swept up.

nice! 

next project on my list.

i'm looking at a carbon look hydrodip style - bit like Wnder627 did :

👍

On 7/9/2020 at 6:52 PM, wander627 said:

Went over to pick up the console and mirrors, some good news and bad news. Good news is the console is looking great, but it's not quite finished, they need to attach the last few bits, arm rest, etc, they said I could leave with it and out it back together myself, or come back tomorrow and they would have it all back together. The mirrors, however, were a nightmare, I spoke with them yesterday about them and basically because of the shape of the mirror, mainly that big (i guess aerodynamic) hole between the mounting point on the car and the mirror itself, the dip just looked awful, the carbon effect didn't allign, you could tell that it was a wrap and just didn't look great, anyone with an eye to detail would notice and think they were fresh off the Halfords discount shelf... so options were to paint or leave stock... as they were pretty scratched up, i decided to paint a satin black to match the wheels and side vents of the car, picking them up tomorrow as they need to have the motors, etc, reassembled. 

i've attached some pics I managed to snap quickly in the rain, you can see the newly painted mirror in the bottom of one of the photos... and also a box, which contains all the bits that need to be reattached! hopefully tomorrow, it'll all be ready to be collected and I can get back on the car and get some pics. The pics below were also taken before they were cleaned up... so might look a little dusty, grainy. 1 week defintely pushed them (I need the car back on the road for Saturday), so would definitely give a 2 week timeframe in the future, this might just be because of how busy they are! 

Tomorrow afternoon, i'll update again with the final prices, and more pics if poeple are interested in seeing. 

20200709_164021.jpg

20200709_164024.jpg

3 hours ago, BERGS2 said:

nice! 

next project on my list.

i'm looking at a carbon look hydrodip style - bit like Wnder627 did :

👍

I should have a spare console for sale later this week if you're interested.

If OP is not keen on taking the spare console - I might be interested in it and a little summer project.

2 hours ago, Rav said:

If OP is not keen on taking the spare console - I might be interested in it and a little summer project.

OK I'll let you both know before I put it in the for sale section.

Edit: @Rav just realised yours is a 986.

Archived