Remap or not?

Adamsky

All I am thinking of remapping the boxster S. 

However I know there are minimal gains to be made in terms of power, but I was told they could tweak the popping of the exhaust. I already have the PSE on it and it sounds amazing when it pops and bangs. Anyone had anything like this done before? 

It depends what your after, the factory pops are written in the map and achieved by a bit of over fuelling. Porsche know what they are doing and it won’t be doing any damage.

You can have your car mapped to increase pops and bangs but it is really only recommend for de catted exhaust as the over fuelling/overrun  will destroy your cats. This type of map doesn’t increase performance either.

Now if I had a 981s I would be enquiring if I could get the GTS factory map flashed to the car. The sounds of pop and bang on the GTS is epic and being as it is a factory map it should be save for your cats. I don’t even know if this is possible but I would be interested 👍

5 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

It depends what your after, the factory pops are written in the map and achieved by a bit of over fuelling. Porsche know what they are doing and it won’t be doing any damage.

You can have your car mapped to increase pops and bangs but it is really only recommend for de catted exhaust as the over fuelling/overrun  will destroy your cats. This type of map doesn’t increase performance either.

Now if I had a 981s I would be enquiring if I could get the GTS factory map flashed to the car. The sounds of pop and bang on the GTS is epic and being as it is a factory map it should be save for your cats. I don’t even know if this is possible but I would be interested 👍

Hi lonewolf 

thanks for the advice, I didn’t know about the cats! 

I think the power is more than enough in the car anyway. I might enquire to Porsche about the gts map then haha 

When having some coding work done recently in the PIWIS tool menus I couldn't help but notice there is an option to add the Power kit, I presumed at the time this was the GTS map but I was only guessing.

Anybody tried it or know any more about it??

I've thought the same that the GTS should be easy to throw on,   what about the 911 map at 350 brake !!??!!

When my warranty expires, I am tempted by a Cobb unit, especially as that can also be custom tuned as well as downloading standard maps.  

Suspension first for me though.

4 hours ago, Patt said:

I've thought the same that the GTS should be easy to throw on,   what about the 911 map at 350 brake !!??!!

When my warranty expires, I am tempted by a Cobb unit, especially as that can also be custom tuned as well as downloading standard maps.  

Suspension first for me though.

Dont suppose you have a link to info and where you can get this?

Thanks

Si

Gts cayman really isnt any faster than my S with sports chrono. Apparently 25bhp up but couldn't pull at all on my car.

I'd be tempted by the 911 Carrera software that I've read about them installing on a German forum.

5 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

When having some coding work done recently in the PIWIS tool menus I couldn't help but notice there is an option to add the Power kit, I presumed at the time this was the GTS map but I was only guessing.

Anybody tried it or know any more about it??

You need to get back there and give it a try and report back!

21 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

Thanks

Si

Actually... just found it online ... £1800!! For a unit that only gives an extra 8bhp on a 2.7 isn't worth that amount surely?

Theres a YouTube vid on how to install on a 2.7 and is an interesting view,then found a uk supplier at £1800

Si

33 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Gts cayman really isnt any faster than my S with sports chrono. Apparently 25bhp up but couldn't pull at all on my car.

I'd be tempted by the 911 Carrera software that I've read about them installing on a German forum.

25bhp just from just a ecu remap on na would be pretty impressive but I would imagine it is the torque curve on the GTS that’s different and those impressive pop and bangs programmed in. Either way I think you would feel the difference as long as you could get the genuine GTS and someone competent to do it for you 😎

I had my 981s remapped at AET Motorsport 21/02/2018.

As previously suggested, it's the extra torque that is noticeable, 27.921 lb ft on my car after a day on the rolling road. And it didn't cost £1800.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:10 PM, mrbikerdood said:

Thanks

Si

Drop Mark Shead a PM @Mark Shead he owns MADevelopements that are an authorised distributor.  He's also a professional engine builder and mapper.

PM me if you need is mobile as he's more often working than by a computer.

There is usually two types of reply to these threads. 

One, I haven't had my car mapped, but it's not worth it and don't bother 

Two, I've had a remap and am pleased with the results. 

Not so much this forum, but many its all about the pub figures (peak power), rather than the driving torque power, or removing holes in the map left for economy testing.

Archived