Gear Knob-Function First Performance

the baron

Been looking to replace just the knob as the red gator is fine, was originally looking for the 917 replica wood one but on reflection i think a silver aluminium one with red numbering would fit the bill much better, a bit expensive at around $160 plus postage from the states but they have an awesome review and would look good in my Boxster red cabin, Ive looked at the Rennlist one and few alternatives but I like the fact that you can choose the number colours and it also fits my 986 where some don't due to having a round aperture rather than oblong,   thoughts or alternatives please:

http://www.function-first.com/products/interior/classic-shift-knob

I changed to a solid alu one in another car many years ago and it was freezing in winter. On short journeys it never warmed up. 

I used one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Speed-Universal-Knob-Car-Manual-Aluminium-Gear-Shifter-Stick-Shift-Knob-Lever/143198025582?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item215744776e:g:VlcAAOSwFZZcQDM6

The centre hole will need to be drilled a few mm bigger, and you will need to find a way to fix it on. Some silicone would do. 

Looks really smart, and feels great, but I also added some heatshrink so doesn't get as hot/cold. 

10 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I used one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Speed-Universal-Knob-Car-Manual-Aluminium-Gear-Shifter-Stick-Shift-Knob-Lever/143198025582?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item215744776e:g:VlcAAOSwFZZcQDM6

The centre hole will need to be drilled a few mm bigger, and you will need to find a way to fix it on. Some silicone would do. 

Looks really smart, and feels great, but I also added some heatshrink so doesn't get as hot/cold. 

That’s the problem with the eBay ones they don’t have the correct holes and you need to mess around with it, the one ive ordered has the correct fixings, yours does look good though

2 hours ago, the baron said:

That’s the problem with the eBay ones they don’t have the correct holes and you need to mess around with it, the one ive ordered has the correct fixings, yours does look good though

I did think about making up some that slide on like the oe ones, but doubt anyone would be interested. 

3 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I did think about making up some that slide on like the oe ones, but doubt anyone would be interested. 

There must be a business in it as the guy in the states seems to sell a few at an astronomical price

28 minutes ago, Patt said:

I fitted a 987 knob, preferred the feel.

😱😂😂😂. Well that’s a question to ask @the baron at Wednesday nights munch - but I’ll get @John K to ask the question, as I wouldn’t be able to keep a straight face 😂

4 hours ago, Patt said:

I fitted a 987 knob, preferred the feel.

I fitted the Spyder knob but the aluminium and leather is now to far gone, but the gator is still good, hence replacing just that bit, I think this was a 987 know originally as it was bought second hand.

Archived