Service Schedule for 987.2

mkn777er

I have now owned my 2009 987.2 for just over one year. It was purchased from a Porsche main dealer, with just 32,000 miles total. They did a 'major' service before putting it on the forecourt. Now I have checked the service schedule, which seems to think the major service is every 20k, 40k, or 60k etc and alternating with 'minor' services every 10k, 30k 50k etc. The thing is, this is very much a weekend car and it only comes out to play when its dry and the sun is shining! So, one year on and I have only added just over 1000 miles to the clock.

What service do I need to do? I really don't think I will be racking up the miles but would it be sensible for me to do minor followed by major, then minor etc every year, so now I would be due a minor service and next year a major, irrespective of mileage covered?

Thanks

As you say the service is every 20k miles and your not doing the mileage. 

2 schools of thought. 

A) you do the services for future car value as I personally wouldn't want to buy one without the appropriate service stamps

B) Have annual oil change and perishables done by a good Indy, and document everything in detail

Difficult one to call. 

30 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

As you say the service is every 20k miles and your not doing the mileage. 

2 schools of thought. 

A) you do the services for future car value as I personally wouldn't want to buy one without the appropriate service stamps

B) Have annual oil change and perishables done by a good Indy, and document everything in detail

Difficult one to call. 

As Kam says get a good Indy like Lee at Cotswold Porsche to give you a minor service ( about £200 iirc) - and get a stamp for it - mine had had a major service at a good Indy in Wales and shouldn’t have needed anything for two years ,but I took her to Lee’s to sort an advisory and have a 4 wheel alignment done when I bought her ( 5 months after her major service ) just for peace of mind and to get the oil level checked properly and to have a thorough suspension check over so I could budget for anything that looked like it would need doing in the future - while on the ramp a screw was found embedded on the inside of the rear tyre wall - so for peace of mind and budgeting for repairs going forward it was worth it for me 😇 

The service intervals on a 987.2 are every 20,000 miles or every two years. I thought the majors were 40, 80 and 100, 000 but I'll check my service book. So the anser would be service every two years. Oh and why not enjoy it more, its not a rare appreciating classic. 😁 My 987.2 is almost nine ywars old and on 63000 miles. I shall be taking it for a service  each year  because of its age and as I anticpate doing around 7 to 8000 miles per year.

As others have said it’s minor major minor etc every 20k or two years.  

but ..... 

every service they recommend a brake fluid change (you decide.  I reckon that’s excessive but ....)

then at 40k / 4 yrs you should probably have plugs and a belt.  (Not sure what the guideline are I think it’s check at 40 and change at 60)

at 60 or 6yr it needs an engine air filter. 

add in “wtf?” Of airbag check (50 quid) and    Replace the tyre weld gunk that nobody uses.  (80’quid ). 

If it’s a pdk then the clutch fluid is due at 60k/6 yrs

for what its worth I did a catch up on the “missing extras” ( as it turned out some had been done some not ) I had 

plugs

belt

pdk clutch fluid 

engine air filter 

airbag check 

done at OPC for £600 and a 2 day loan of a 718s.  

I figured I wasn’t sure what had been done so I caught up in the “off year” between services. 

one thing to consider is that things like oil in a lower mileage car needs changing because of age and / or mileage. Lots of people change their oil every year.  No bad thing. Me personally. I am putting “average mileage” on mine (10k a year ) and I do longer runs so I am comfortable with the recommended (computer prompted) intervals. If I was doing less (or doing track days etc. ) I would likely do an oil change every year and nobody ever said “it’s bad to change oil frequently”

you decide of course.  

If you're doing so few miles, then little problems/leaks may go unnoticed for a while and turn serious. so worth getting it checked over as caz and others have said just to watch out for early problems in the off year so you nip them in the bud.

otherwise, it's not just about miles, as fluids and belts, seals etc. degrade with age as paul p says, not just actual use - aux belt done on 6 year service I think, and brake fluid and oil can both accumulate water and become contaminated, hence suggestion to change regularly. I'd not skip any of the 2 year services for peace of mind and future value reasons.

Otherwise your OPC may offer a free check-over (or at very low cost) rather than a full service, as would a decent indy - maybe an option to consider rather than a service.

Thanks for all the tips/advice. I do think I need to check the 'extras' such as pdk oil change which I'm not sure has ever been done.

As for doing so few miles, that was never the intention its just having bought it, the 'plans' have not come to fruition for various reasons, but we still do have plans for several road trips once time permits. That said, I still don't think I will do more than about 5k miles per year, so need to devise a suitable service schedule. For now I think I will get those 'extras' done for its age (now 10 years) and an oil change.

I have a 2.9 manual 987.2 (2009). I am following the schedule recommended by Porsche, but using a good independent. I also have a yearly oil change done. This is relatively inexpensive relative to the reassurance to any future buyer that the car is well maintained- which it is. Im on 70000 and doing about 3k per year.

I also need to drive it more often !

On 11/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, mkn777er said:

I have now owned my 2009 987.2 for just over one year. It was purchased from a Porsche main dealer, with just 32,000 miles total. They did a 'major' service before putting it on the forecourt. Now I have checked the service schedule, which seems to think the major service is every 20k, 40k, or 60k etc and alternating with 'minor' services every 10k, 30k 50k etc. The thing is, this is very much a weekend car and it only comes out to play when its dry and the sun is shining! So, one year on and I have only added just over 1000 miles to the clock.

What service do I need to do? I really don't think I will be racking up the miles but would it be sensible for me to do minor followed by major, then minor etc every year, so now I would be due a minor service and next year a major, irrespective of mileage covered?

Thanks

The cars can go 2 years between services, according to Porsche.  If you check on the car dash it will tell you when the next is due.  I have an oil change every year and then alternate major/minors along with any mileage specific work when necessary.  Mine's up for a Major at the end of this year, along with anything else recommended at 100k miles as I will be very close to this number.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived