Locking wheel nuts and tool for my 981

tony_zx9r

12 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I think the bigger issue is often if you never remove your wheels than the threads can seize slightly so can then cause issues, likely why Daz (and others) havn’t had issues with regular removal.

Could well be if no anti seize on the threads. Anyone know why they changed to 160nm.? ...120nm is plenty. 

2 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Could well be if no anti seize on the threads. Anyone know why they changed to 160nm.? ...120nm is plenty. 

If you put anti seize on then 160nm is going to be way too much torque. The torque spec relies on the friction of the threads, you could end up stretching the bolts at 160nm with any grease on.  I would not go higher than 120nm if putting anything on the threads.

4 minutes ago, Greenman said:

If you put anti seize on then 160nm is going to be way too much torque. The torque spec relies on the friction of the threads, you could end up stretching the bolts at 160nm with any grease on.  I would not go higher than 120nm if putting anything on the threads.

I don't think Porsche say lube the threads anymore ? Maybe that's why they upped the torque.? 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to finish this thread off, I got the Mcgard locking wheel bolts after waiting about 3 weeks. The correct versions for the 981 in black were so hard to get hold of.

I fitted them today. The new Mcgard versions seem so much better than my OEM versions. I have a theory that because my tool has such thin shoulders that bend, they are just too delicate. I wonder if the unique design of each tool / bolt means that some owners will not have the really thin internals meaning some are possibly more reliable than others.

I had problems getting the old ones off, had to tap the tool onto two of the old bolts and then struggled to get the bolt out of the tool. You will see from the pics below that the new Mcgard have much thicker internals and hopefully will last.

Two old oem tools, both damaged

eCbCli9.jpg

new mcgard bolts & tool

UWaAfic.jpg

New vs old

IYHWOlb.jpg

HKpIVKF.jpg

New bolt & tool

qdVoYir.jpg

If you ever have the same issue as myself with oem bolts/tool, I would suggest the Mcgard bolts are worth a look.

For the 981 with oem alloys, the part no. is 28177 SUB

Archived