Locking wheel nuts and tool for my 981

tony_zx9r

For those of you with 981's who have changed the wheels a few times, you may have noticed that the OEM tool for the 981 is made of cheese.

The tool that came with the car was completely mashed so I bought a new one from the OPC Reading. Only about £15 so not an issue but did take about a month to arrive. Anyways before I went to Stuttgart, I swapped my wheels for the Winters. Knowing the tool is delicate, I tried to do the locking wheel nuts up with care but still somehow manage to bu*ger the tool up again after only its 2nd or 3rd use from new.

So, I am not keen to buy another OEM tool as I am sure the same thing will happen again.

This means I only have two choices:

1) Buy 4 more ordinary bolts and do away with the locking wheel nuts altogether

2) Buy 4 after-market locking wheel nuts and a new tool

My preference is for option 2 but I wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations in what make to buy or what to look out for ?

thanks

Tony

I had the same issue when I bought mine, got a new key and then ask opc for 4 normal bolts.    Don't t have a locking nuts onto the wheels and  did the same with my s3 aswell after Audi buggered that up and didnt tell me.

15 minutes ago, tony_zx9r said:

what are wheel pegs ?

As per picture - used to guide/hold wheel on while you replace bolts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Porsche-wheel-guide-hanger/dp/B074CQ6JZ2

29 minutes ago, Patt said:

I have a set of black lockers with key sat in the shed if you need.

I instantly went for option 2 as I do with every car I own.

What make of lockers do you use Patt?? Thanks, handy to know

35 minutes ago, Patt said:

I have a set of black lockers with key sat in the shed if you need.

I instantly went for option 2 as I do with every car I own.

Sounds interesting, are they new or used ?  How much would you like for them ?

thanks

Tony

I miss-quoted.

I went with option 3 - remove all lockers and put in standard bolts. 

It even appears as an advisory when Revolution service the car "locking wheel nuts missing" ☺️

They were on the car from new.  I can't remember what Millage Alice was on when I bought her, it was less than 30K.  They are in good condition else I would have binned them.

Think I also have the silver set from Molly too.

No idea what they are worth - how does a bottle of vodka sound?

1 hour ago, Patt said:

They were on the car from new.  I can't remember what Millage Alice was on when I bought her, it was less than 30K.  They are in good condition else I would have binned them.

Think I also have the silver set from Molly too.

No idea what they are worth - how does a bottle of vodka sound?

Are the black lockers Porsche OEM items or after-market ?

9 minutes ago, Patt said:

Both sets are OEM Porsche Tony

It's very hard to find good aftermarket with the correct radius collars.

Ah, after the problems I have had, I definitely do not want OEM items but thanks for the offer.

I am looking at McGard at the moment - anyone tried their bolts / lockers before ?

3 hours ago, tony_zx9r said:

I am looking at McGard at the moment - anyone tried their bolts / lockers before ?

Yes, but not on a Porsche. Decent quality. 

Saying that, I've got the Porsche lockers on my car (silver type) with multi splines, and they are absolutely fine. 

4 hours ago, tony_zx9r said:

They were standard on our VXR8 and were fine, but like most here, I don't like locking nuts or bolts.

I have ordered a set of Mc Gard locking wheel bolts.  Finding the right code was not easy and I am still not 100% sure that these are the right ones although I was told by two separate people at Performance Alloys in NI that these were the correct bolts. I will check them when they arrive against the OEM items before I fit them and report back.

If this doesn't work, I will dump the locking bolts and just fit ordinary OEM bolts 🙂

Well the torques on the 981 are supposed to be 160nm (not 120), this is quite high IMO,  I’ve got to admit I usually do my locking nut a bit below that (more like 140nm) and I always loosen it slightly if I’m going to a garage/tyre place to prevent the tyres place mashing it. So far mine has been fine, I think the bigger issue is often if you never remove your wheels than the threads can seize slightly so can then cause issues, likely why Daz (and others) havn’t had issues with regular removal.

Archived