Scratched windscreen.

DaveEFI

My windscreen has lots and lots of fine scratches caused by the wipers. Most likely too much using then dry. Despite the car being pretty well mint when I bought it, I had to replace the wiper blades right away. Not an MOT failure, but very irritating especially with the low winter sun.

Is it possible to have them polished out? If not, how much would I pay to have a new screen fitted? And any recommendation for London UK area? (Had a very bad experience with Autoglass)

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

My windscreen has lots and lots of fine scratches caused by the wipers. Most likely too much using then dry. Despite the car being pretty well mint when I bought it, I had to replace the wiper blades right away. Not an MOT failure, but very irritating especially with the low winter sun.

Is it possible to have them polished out? If not, how much would I pay to have a new screen fitted? And any recommendation for London UK area? (Had a very bad experience with Autoglass)

HI @DaveEFI There are some products you can buy for polishing glass, I had similar issue with my Cayenne when I bought it. CarPro sell a polish called Ceriglass and also Rayan (spelling?) pads for a machine polisher. If the marks are deep enough so you can catch them with a finger nail I think you'll be wasting your time! I manage to make a big improvement on mine but it did take a couple of hours. I guess if you're planning on getting someone else to do it then the labour charge will probably be more than the excess for windscreen replacement through your insurance? 

Hope that helps?

Phil

2 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

I had OEM glass fitted by a local independent and it was £1034 and that's up in Manchester.

8 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I had OEM glass fitted by a local independent and it was £1034 and that's up in Manchester.

WOW! Could you have not claimed on your insurance? Or was this to ensure you had OEM glass? I guess most insurance companies use Autoglass or similar aftermarket/pattern glass?

I had my 986 screen replaced and fitfed by Autoglass. I asked for OEM and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing they agreed at a cost of £180 plus my excess. As my local OPC had quoted £960 plus VAT (non insurance) I was chuffed. I did a bit of research and found a one of the AG fitters local to me had some good reviews and asked AG for him by name. I got him and he did a great job and was a big Porsche fan to boot. The screen came from OPC Nottingham to AG. Oh and I only paidd the excess in the end.

2 hours ago, PhilTUK said:

WOW! Could you have not claimed on your insurance? Or was this to ensure you had OEM glass? I guess most insurance companies use Autoglass or similar aftermarket/pattern glass?

I was with Locktons at the time and they said to just get it done and send the invoice after I'd paid. They refunded all bar £100 excess within a couple of days.

mine was what AG had as standard and depsite many threads warning about inferior quality to Porsche OEM its no different IMO and only cost the standard window excess of £75...it even had rain sensor in it depsite my car not have the option (so assume they all have it and it only works if the option is switched on?)

12 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

mine was what AG had as standard and depsite many threads warning about inferior quality to Porsche OEM its no different IMO and only cost the standard window excess of £75...it even had rain sensor in it depsite my car not have the option (so assume they all have it and it only works if the option is switched on?)

To be fair I had  AG fit a sceen to my Ford which was non OE and has been fine, its a quick cleat heated screen too ! Had the same fitter though!

Archived