Windscreen washer jets

JohnSyn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

You are right Bob, it’s odd

The replacement part that I’ve been sent shows it’s both for a Porsche and a Ford! This supports your suggestion that it’s odd bin parts! 

Fancy sharing that so we can buy ours from Ford for 99p rather than £68.99 at the OPC.

3 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

The replacement part that I’ve been sent shows it’s both for a Porsche and a Ford! This supports your suggestion that it’s odd bin parts! 

Well my Ford washer jets are just fine after 10 years and 180,000  miles. 👍Water is known as the universal solvent, given time and pressure, so maybe those jet apertures just enlarge slightly over time and loose direction and effectivness. Hope you can get it sorted soon John, its an irratating little problem, all the more so for its apparent simplicity to remedy.

45 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Fancy sharing that so we can buy ours from Ford for 99p rather than £68.99 at the OPC.

e-bay.....£5.99 for two! And it looks exactly the same! I'm going to try to fit it over the weekend...watch this space!

27 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Well my Ford washer jets are just fine after 10 years and 180,000  miles. 👍Water is known as the universal solvent, given time and pressure, so maybe those jet apertures just enlarge slightly over time and loose direction and effectivness. Hope you can get it sorted soon John, its an irratating little problem, all the more so for its apparent simplicity to remedy.

Hopefully the new one, which I've now got, will sort this out Bob. 

11 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Oh dear...bit bored? Nice try though! Whats interesting is that its the drivers side one on my car thats not working correctly. 

😂 Yes very!

So it seems the drivers side is problematic more often. I wonder if that is the first jet or second to get supplied by the water feed?

I'm interested in this too @JohnSyn as I've never been happy with the drivers side spray pattern on mine, I've done nothing about it as it does get the screen wet enough to clean it - especially when on the move as most water lands on the bottom half of the screen the airflow carries the water up the screen just enough.  It seems to be a common problem - did you ask your OPC about it?  Just wondering if they would have entertained a warranty replacement?

18 hours ago, Gorsh said:

I'm interested in this too @JohnSyn as I've never been happy with the drivers side spray pattern on mine, I've done nothing about it as it does get the screen wet enough to clean it - especially when on the move as most water lands on the bottom half of the screen the airflow carries the water up the screen just enough.  It seems to be a common problem - did you ask your OPC about it?  Just wondering if they would have entertained a warranty replacement?

Yes that was exactly my problem, although not quite wet enough even with airflow, so dirty smeary area at top of wiper patern - so replaced under warranty - now exactly the same at best!

So more chance of success if could be done oneself. 

Well...that will teach me to believe bay sellers! The new jets which were meant to be for my car are nothing like those on the car! Now going for plan B, as per @Gorsh 's suggestion I'm going to ask about this being fixed under the warranty. Don't hold out much hope but worth a try!

Update.....I've found the correct fitting, there is one on the Status Porsche site. They are £34.99 each! Think I will  definitely try plan B first!

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

If you feel inclined you could google car jets from VWs and Audis and chances are it's a parts bin part.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. Now I know what I'm looking for it might be easier!

So the drivers side is the second in line to be supplied by the pump on a RHD model. The jet unclips very simply. I have given it a reverse blow through with and air line and its soaking in white vinegar to dissolve any build up of limescale (Our water is pretty hard) Part number is 991.628.075.00 btw. From @Mlkeyv60 ............ doesn't sound like replacing helps? 😑

21 minutes ago, Toeside said:

So the drivers side is the second in line to be supplied by the pump on a RHD model. The jet unclips very simply. I have given it a reverse blow through with and air line and its soaking in white vinegar to dissolve any build up of limescale (Our water is pretty hard) Part number is 991.628.075.00 btw. From @Mlkeyv60 ............ doesn't sound like replacing helps? 😑

it will be interesting to see if this works. 

7 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I had the drivers changed under warranty and still as cr*p as ever .

That hasn't worked out then Mike! I'm starting to wonder whether just to leave it. I do get water sprayed on the windscreen that allows me to clear it, so as I say maybe just leave it. 

2 hours ago, Toeside said:

If you clamp the first line just after the join, then spray, is the weak jet now stronger? Or still weak?

30 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

If you clamp the first line just after the join, then spray, is the weak jet now stronger? Or still weak?

Yes I was thinking about throttling the flow to the passenger side to promote a better flow to the Drivers side. When I get it all back together I will test that theory out if the first fix doesn't help.

Ceramic coating the wheels at present so multi tasking 😄

14 hours ago, daz05 said:

I had a brand new Cayenne out today, 700 miles on it and the jets front and rear were all over the place.

That'll teach you to drive a tank with full air support.

So cleaned jet re-fitted ....................................... roll of the drums............................ ta taaa!  Still exactly the same 😄

The single feed tube comes up the passengers side (UK) and then splits within the bonnet dead space and the longer section feeds over to the drivers side. 

Tube dimensions are the same for both sides of the bonnet supplied from a single tube with unequal lengths of tube feeding each washer. No sizing change to promote differential flows

Fluid dynamics would therefore suggest the basic design is .................................. not clever.  (being polite) 

Archived