Windscreen washer jets

JohnSyn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Gutley said:

Yeah, its the ‘tips’ you replace 😀

Sorry John. Couldn’t resist

Oh dear Matt, I bet you are one of the writers of Christmas cracker jokes too!

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Why would you need to replace washer jets?  Spray pattern changed over time?  Seems very odd on a 4 year old car.

There you go Meno something Porsche aren’t so good at! 

But what happens John? They collect crud due to mounting position? They block with limescale? The plastic housing disintegrates in UV?  They are made from recycled 9x6 IMS bearings? I don't get the problem.

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

But what happens John? They collect crud due to mounting position? They block with limescale? The plastic housing disintegrates in UV?  They are made from recycled 9x6 IMS bearings? I don't get the problem.

No Meno, for some reason they just seem, over time, to alter the direction of the stream of water. Don't know whether it's the plastic changing the direction with exposure to heat and cold but it seems a number of 981 owners suffer with this. I did not experience this with my other two 981s. 

Many moons ago I had an MX-5, and quite a common trick was to change the washer jets for Peugeot items, I think it was from a 306.  Instead of a standard squirty type, with two separate jets, they sprayed a fine mist.  I don't think they had any adjustment because they didn't need it, the spray was fairly even across the screen from what I remember.  Quite a cool little mod I thought, although the units were probably twice the size of a "normal" jet, so not as discreet I guess.

Had this problem on both 981's I've owned, the first was a 6-month old demonstrator, and in both cases problem always existed during my ownership, it didn't gradually get worse. Which corresponds with my new replacement ones being no better. So I don't think its a degradation more likely the fixed mounting may not always be correct from new or perhaps moves fractionally over time?

Barry

8 hours ago, Toeside said:

Wow this is turning into a hot topic ................ no chance of quenching that with the the windscreen washer jets (especially the drivers side!) ;)

Oh dear...bit bored? Nice try though! Whats interesting is that its the drivers side one on my car thats not working correctly. 

Ironic how such a fine car as the 981 with so much sophistication has, it would appear; badly designed or odd bin part washer jets. Not seeing is a handicap in any car. I noted recently how one of our more informed members  is quite particular in ensuring all windows and mirrors are clean and clear before driving off first thing. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, daz05 said:

Could it be crud in the tank filter which then reduces the pressure up to the jets and causes the odd spray pattern?  I've had the jets off and gave them a clean and no change.

Fair point by Daz, if you change the jets and the symptoms persist, then perhaps the problem is further, er, upstream.

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Ironic how such a fine car as the 981 with so much sophistication has, it would appear; badly designed or odd bin part washer jets. Not seeing is a handicap in any car. I noted recently how one of our more informed members  is quite particular in ensuring all windows and mirrors are clean and clear before driving off first thing. 

You are right Bob, it’s odd

The replacement part that I’ve been sent shows it’s both for a Porsche and a Ford! This supports your suggestion that it’s odd bin parts! 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Fair point by Daz, if you change the jets and the symptoms persist, then perhaps the problem is further, er, upstream.

Nope for mine definitely not crud in the tank

the jets have slightly changed direction and, as has been also said by others, is not adjustable 

Archived