Smoke Cold Start - Second Opinion - Vids Inside

Tom163

Hey guys,

I know this is a age old questions asked thousands of times and even with owning a 986 before this one I can’t seem to be confident if this is normal or a possible AOS on its way out. Any opinions are really welcomed. 

I pretty much get some kind of smoke on every cold start but a bit worse when left overnight as to be expected. Just the fact it’s each morning and it doesn’t feel correct being each morning.

The below 3 videos are when I started it from cold after sitting overnight at around 1pm in the afternoon so not freezing temps, more around 6c. They are in order of start and then letting it idle before moving it into garage.

Also not sure if it makes any difference but does have a DesignTek valvetronic exhaust. 

Thanks! 

Mine looks similar on start up, and it was a bit disconcerting at first.  However, after reading a few threads on here I'm assuming it's normal for the flat 6 engine, and nothing to worry about.

I've got the car booked in to TWG on Tuesday for a couple of things, so I'm going to ask them about it anyway.  I think I can guess what they will say.... :lol:

2 hours ago, Liberty said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but if you take the oil cap off and you get vacuum the AOS is faulty but if not then it should be okay?

I am able to remove the oil cap when hot or cold engine but there is a sucking vaccum kind of noise when I do. I believe it’s when the cap can’t be removed by hand at all its fully knackered? 

2 hours ago, sa utah said:

I’d say definitely a bad AOS.  It even sounds just like my 2.7 did when I bought it with a bad AOS

After changing it you’ll live the lack of smoke screen but will be disappointed at the lack of noise ! 

That maybe just the really loud sports exhaust your heating mate 😅 unless your detecting something behind the loudness?? 

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

Mine looks similar on start up, and it was a bit disconcerting at first.  However, after reading a few threads on here I'm assuming it's normal for the flat 6 engine, and nothing to worry about.

I've got the car booked in to TWG on Tuesday for a couple of things, so I'm going to ask them about it anyway.  I think I can guess what they will say.... :lol:

Yeah for sure. I don’t remember the old 986 doing it so much and it’s more worried me as it’s every cold engine start lately. The smoke definite has an oily smell but guessing it’s mixed in with water vapour too from the exhaust.

Please let me know what TWG say buddy. 

When mine does it - only once in a while - it is a big cloud of obviously blue smoke which clears quickly.  But it always 'steams' - white smoke - on every cold start on a cold damp day. And that steam will continue until the exhaust heats up fully. That video looks like steam.

13 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Isn't that just another name for the AOS?

Could be..was wondering  as he showed or rather  pointed at something that didn’t look like the AOS.

I’ve just replaced my aos had the same symptoms with white smoke on start since aos replaced no smoke on start.  I also cleaned the throttle body and intake manifold where I found oil sitting in the intake by the flap which I hope is a sign of a bad aos going to check again after a good  few miles.

Would appreciate comments on oil in the intake manifold area that it is a sign of a bad aos 

I did the same as you as per my previous post.  Oil in the intake is a sign of a bad AOS 

I took out all the intake hoses etc and cleaned them.  

It’s one of the first thing I’d look for and replace if I got another 987 or similar.  Wasn’t that difficult to do with the correct tools so for 70 quid or thereabouts it’s sorted.  They only get worse so better to catch it early I’d say   

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I got my first (that I know of) blue cloud

After a 5 day lay up I started it yesterday and there was just the right sort of breeze to blow a small puff of blue smoke past the car

It cleared in 2 to 3 seconds and didn't do it when I restarted to car to come home an hour later

I'll keep an eye on the oil level and see if it does again 

At the mo I'm not "worried" as I'm putting it down to a bit of residual oil, but if a pattern develops I'll come back...

In two of the videos there's as much 'smoke' coming from around the exhaust as there is through it, which would lead me to think it is more of a condensation problem and perfectly normal.

It positively billows out, if you have an AOS problem.

Archived