Bad start to this morning

S2sam

Got in my boxster this morning reversing off my drive and I heard the front valance catch which it doesn't normally do ,I got around 300 yards and heard metallic clank and so it seems I've snapped a spring ,I found half a link on the road ,so came home to park up and then the ignition switch won't turn off, I've had to stall it it to stop but then I can't turn ignition off so all lights are on dash ,any help on the ignition switch would be greatly appreciated , it will not respond to key it feels loose inside if that makes sense 

Bloody cars !!☹️

Will that cause any problems when reconnecting. ? Thanks for the quick reply 

Alarm will go off unless you keep the ignition in position one. Sounds like the ignition switch broke its not uncommon failure.  I think there's an equivalent audi part cheaper than the Porsche. Search on here it's been mentioned many times before. 

Spring obviously gone and I'm sure you know to replace in pairs at least. 

Thanks for quick response , it's being recovered to revolution in Leeds ,I've disconnected battery and left frunk on latch  , re spring I'll do both as mentioned 

Ignition switch comes in two variants based on the colour of the plastic part at the back iirc. Available from ECP at about £12-14. You need a 3mm hex bit to get it out, ther'e something on the forum I think, have a search.

Get warmed up first as you need to get a bit upside down in the drivers footwell, not easy when you're fat and 57 with a bad back like me !

I had the same key issue a year ago and found the best solution to be removing the drivers side air vent so you can reach the base of the ignition switch.  Part was £18 from ecp.  Took about and hour to do...once I had removed the security seal on the screws....

I feel your pain ! I’m at the moment at a Porsche meet in my fiesta as my Box is going in to CPS tomorrow for a new ignition barrel. 

I just did the switch last week - £15 from EuroCarParts and I followed the guide in Pedro’s garage.  Very simple but fiddly. I had to do it with a short flat headed screwbit as my other screwdrivers were all too long to fit.

7 hours ago, kevs said:

I just did the switch last week - £15 from EuroCarParts and I followed the guide in Pedro’s garage.  Very simple but fiddly. I had to do it with a short flat headed screwbit as my other screwdrivers were all too long to fit.

I used a short hex bit to unscrew the retainers. Clamped a small jubilee clip to the bit in order to get some purchase. 

Archived