Baby it's cold Outside

Apollo000

So first real frozen morning and a question:

When the windows are frozen they obviously won't drop when you try to open the door, that is if you can even open the door - how do you lot get around this?

I hate using copious amounts of de-icer on any car let alone the Boxster!

I always keep a bottle of water on the radiator indoors for days like today. The radiator is usually on for about 30 minutes before I head off to work, so it warms it to a good temperature ready for pouring over the window. There are also products you can put on the door seals as they tend to freeze, like Pinewood mentions. 

Cheers all - this was my thoughts too - glad to know this choir are all on the same song sheet! 

I now know the door membrane needs sealing....bottom of the door carpet is wet .....😏

My half cover solved the ice problem this morning. 

Once I hit the road, 1 degree temps and standard tyres made it a bit squirelly off roundabouts... 

Just now, ½cwt said:

Once I hit the road, 1 degree temps and standard tyres made it a bit squirelly off roundabouts... 

Put the cover in the boot as that will be warm from engine heat. Helps dry them out

Just now, Pinewood said:

Put the cover in the boot as that will be warm from engine heat. Helps dry them out

Good call but if you look up my thread on luggage compartment heat, I've added an insulation layer in my boot to keep it cooler. Doh!

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Yeah I’ve got a second hand one but I was doing some cleaning on it - will be on from now on dirty or not I’m not a paintwork worrier! 

26 minutes ago, the baron said:

Keep it in a garage and you will never have that problem. Sorted.

Garages are for old paint tins and hiding from the wife...... I have neither 😂😂

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Good call but if you look up my thread on luggage compartment heat, I've added an insulation layer in my boot to keep it cooler. Doh!

If you’re keeping your half cover in the boot put it into a protective bag before you stow it away - I didn’t and had earlier on checked my coolant level - some had obviously spilt and got onto my half cover - this I found out after I next used the cover, took it off and I have 2 largish milky marks on my red paintwork where the coolant has damaged it and its £240 to get that sorted ( waiting for warmer weather ) and now wondering if getting the half cover dry cleaned will mean I can use it again or if the chemicals they use to dry clean it will damage the paintwork - so that ones up for discussion😭

@CAZ contact the manufacturer for suitable cleaning process.  I'd be wary of dry cleaning.  Could be lots of clean warm water to re-dilute the coolant and rinse it out, or gentle detergent and light agitation with a good rinse will be OK.

Archived