Warranty Renewal

Alex_L

8 hours ago, Alex_L said:

I went from a Lotus 2-Eleven to a 2015 Exige both of which came from Lotus Silverstone to the Boxster S which I bought from Reading.

I live 10 mins from Silverstone so using the OPC there would be convenient but so far I’ve had a poor experience.

Seems to be a recurring theme. However if you look at the newly extended premises and the shear number of cars they process looks like they’re not that fussed.  

My last dealings with them were a disaster.  I was looking to buy a new 718S and booked a dat's test drive (took holiday especially).  I was waiting for 15 minutes in the showroom until eventually an embarrassed manager came up to me and admitted they'd given the car to someone else.

There was a really well spec'd orange 718 I was also very interested in, had been advertised for 3 weeks and tried viewing it twice before they finally let me but they just didn't seem interested in selling it.

They had two new 718's which they said were heavily discounted but wouldn't give me a price.

I also asked about the Sytner Affinity discount we get (my boss also owns the Sytner group).  Whilst they acknowledged this,  it was impossible to get them to elaborate on what this discount might be.

I gave up after that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, F1HA said:

Auto Protect. No 111 point check, no faffing. Only things excluded are consumables. Must be serviced at required intervals but they don’t care who with. £140 per hour labour rate and as I said, up to the value paid for the car. None of this craziness about Porsche brake pads and discs, zunsport grills etc. I haven’t made up my mind yet. Might get a quote for the warranty from OPC cardiff and see if it’s better. 

Sorry to wind this thread back.  Do Auto Protect do warranties for individuals?  Their web site seems to deal with traders

1 hour ago, lofi said:

Sorry to wind this thread back.  Do Auto Protect do warranties for individuals?  Their web site seems to deal with traders

They do. My warranty with them ends mid March. They’ve just quoted for me on 1/2/3 years cover. Includes wear and tear on failing items that are not service components. It’s not cheap at circa £1800 for 3 years but they payout is £140 per hour (so covers most OPC’s) and up to the purchase price of the car on each claim with unlimited claims. I’m mulling it over. 

On 2/29/2020 at 9:24 PM, F1HA said:

They do. My warranty with them ends mid March. They’ve just quoted for me on 1/2/3 years cover. Includes wear and tear on failing items that are not service components. It’s not cheap at circa £1800 for 3 years but they payout is £140 per hour (so covers most OPC’s) and up to the purchase price of the car on each claim with unlimited claims. I’m mulling it over. 

for £600 a year it seems quite reasonable.  The reviews about their level customer service concerned me, but those seem to be from people who had their product provided to the trade

• 1 month later...

As an update I booked the car in on the expiry of my current warranty for the 111 point check with the intention to renew for another  2 years. I suspect it’s very unlikely though that Porsche Reading will be re-opened by the 21st May so effectively my car will be out of warranty when it can be inspected.

Hopefully they’ll give me goodwill if there’s anything wrong with the car and also not charge the increased rate for the check/warranty renewal. I’d also like to think they’ll extend my Porsche Assist too, but will see. I emailed the OPC a couple of weeks ago but no reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Porsche Silverstone rang me last week and they’ve a slot on Monday to undertake the 111 point check to renew the warranty.

Do I need to remove the Zunsport grills though?

6 minutes ago, lofi said:

Interesting they are working. Tonbridge have gone missing in action. And I suspect the answer to your question is, yes

As have Reading which is where the car is still booked in for the 21st May for the 111 point check and while I'd ordinarily much rather drive miles further to use them I feel that how hard can it be for Silverstone to undertake this inspection!?

Job for Sunday - remove cables ties and Zunsport grills

34 minutes ago, Alex_L said:

As have Reading which is where the car is still booked in for the 21st May for the 111 point check and while I'd ordinarily much rather drive miles further to use them I feel that how hard can it be for Silverstone to undertake this inspection!?

Job for Sunday - remove cables ties and Zunsport grills

When I had my winter wheel swap at Silverstone OPC a couple of years ago, I had the grills in. The service manager at the time suggested that they could invalidate a warranty claim. There have been lots of personnel changes at Silverstone in the last 18 months, so your action plan for Sunday would be a wise move. Give the intake surrounds and slats a clean once the grills have been removed.

Hopefully your friend kept the pictures of the car for sale, just in case.😉

2 hours ago, Ringer250 said:

When I had my winter wheel swap at Silverstone OPC a couple of years ago, I had the grills in. The service manager at the time suggested that they could invalidate a warranty claim. There have been lots of personnel changes at Silverstone in the last 18 months, so your action plan for Sunday would be a wise move. Give the intake surrounds and slats a clean once the grills have been removed.

Id agree...Silverstone had done work on mine with them fitted but the service mannager had also indicated to me on a different occasion they might have an issue...they would need to access the radiators anyway wouldnt they so he'd need to take them off for that?

On 4/13/2020 at 1:06 PM, Alex_L said:

As an update I booked the car in on the expiry of my current warranty for the 111 point check with the intention to renew for another  2 years. I suspect it’s very unlikely though that Porsche Reading will be re-opened by the 21st May so effectively my car will be out of warranty when it can be inspected.

Hopefully they’ll give me goodwill if there’s anything wrong with the car and also not charge the increased rate for the check/warranty renewal. I’d also like to think they’ll extend my Porsche Assist too, but will see. I emailed the OPC a couple of weeks ago but no reply.

Reading dont seem to give anything away, not had a good experience with them , failed to invite me to the 718 launch when i was on their interested list and yet had the nerve to call me earlier in the year as one of their "special " customers asking if i was interested in a Gt4 or Gts!!

I had the same thoughts ref extending the warranty, but to cough up nearly £1800 plus knowing i was changing cars later in year kept my cash firmly in my pocket.

8 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Reading dont seem to give anything away, not had a good experience with them , failed to invite me to the 718 launch when i was on their interested list and yet had the nerve to call me earlier in the year as one of their "special " customers asking if i was interested in a Gt4 or Gts!!

I had the same thoughts ref extending the warranty, but to cough up nearly £1800 plus knowing i was changing cars later in year kept my cash firmly in my pocket.

Reading actually offered to give me 45 days of warranty extension for free until they could re-book my appointment. I’m still in two minds as to whether it’s worth extending as I’ve done less than 5,000 miles in two years and I’ve got a deposit down on a GT4 with Reading too.

33 minutes ago, Alex_L said:

It’s impossible to quote on an iPad as it never lets you scroll down, so my reply is merged in with yours above

Alex, If you hit the quote button then press on the right hand side of the quote box the cursor should appear out the box to the left side.

44 minutes ago, Alex_L said:

It’s impossible to quote on an iPad as it never lets you scroll down, so my reply is merged in with yours above

Thats a Porsche offer not just Reading. If you are going to be changing later in the year then i would keep your money , we are still at least a month away to freely move around , if your Gt4 arrives later in the year most likely you will have to trade because selling a soft top in the winter is a tade difficult so you'd lose the money anyway?

46 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Thats a Porsche offer not just Reading. If you are going to be changing later in the year then i would keep your money , we are still at least a month away to freely move around , if your Gt4 arrives later in the year most likely you will have to trade because selling a soft top in the winter is a tade difficult so you'd lose the money anyway?

Indeed, they said it would only be honoured if you already had an appointment booked. I usually change cars annually or sooner but have owned the Boxster S for two years and there’s nothing else which takes my fancy for what it offers. Keep considering a Caterham 620r and doing more track days but then I’ll rarely use it on the roads.

I’m more than likely to ask for my GT4 deposit back as to me it’s not going to give me three times the pleasure to justify the cost. I’d rather spend a little more and get a used GT3

All new cars where the warranty expires up until May 31st get a 3 month extension apparently.

Mine went into Silverstone on Monday for the 111 point check which it passed with no issues - £1400ish later I've got 2 years extended warranty. Didn't bother taking Porsche assist as I could add it to my existing RAC policy for £12!

Archived