Warranty Renewal

Alex_L

I've searched the forum and sure this would have been asked many times before but couldn't find a thread.

My warranty expires in May so just spoke to Porsche Reading who have quoted £270 for the 111 point check and £1,190 for the 2 year warranty extension. Is this the going rate, or is there no negotiation on these prices? I presume this also includes Porsche Assistance?

I was in two minds as to whether to renew the warranty as I've only done 5k miles in the time I've owned the car (now on 19k) and apart from replacing the sticking hvac fans, I've not claimed. I've managed to get an allocation for the 718 GT4 so at some point soon I'll more than likely be selling the car and reckon the OPC warranty will add value, or at least make it more saleable.

If you’re planning on selling your car to an OPC, it’s not worth it. They will put a warranty on it anyway. 

Maybe some merit if you sell it privately, will make it more saleable but you won’t get the money you spend on the warranty back. 

I wouldn’t bother extending the warranty personally. Spend it on options on the GT4. 

That's the quandary I have. Part Ex value is around £28k (2015 S with most options and 19k miles) whereas I'd like to think it may achieve £32/33k privately. 

I'm not 100% that I actually want a GT4, also been looking at Caterham 620r  and a few other things.

Something else I've considered but cannot think what I'd like to replace it with at the moment. It took me a while to find a good coloured Boxster that's as well specced as mine, so don't want to regret any decision in selling. I've owned it for 2 years in May which is the longest I've ever had a weekend car, apart from my Defender but that's a keeper.

16 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Don't bother & up your GT4 spec' instead perhaps.

Silverstone Porsche by any chance?

How many cars have you had from them to get the GT4?

Nope, always found Silverstone particularly unhelpful and incompetent.

Bought my 981 from Reading and that's where I've managed to secure my GT4 allocation. No previous cars from them, just made a request the day they were announced and received the call in September last year for a deposit. I'm in no rush as I'd much prefer PDK.

I've been considering warranties also. Just received a quote from my current aftermarket warranty company for circa £1800 for 3 years. Includes wear and tear items, unlimited mileage and a claim limit up to the value of my car when I purchased it. Sounding pretty good considering they've paid 3 times in 2 months to sort out a few little issues. 

3 hours ago, Alex_L said:

I've searched the forum and sure this would have been asked many times before but couldn't find a thread.

My warranty expires in May so just spoke to Porsche Reading who have quoted £270 for the 111 point check and £1,190 for the 2 year warranty extension. Is this the going rate, or is there no negotiation on these prices? I presume this also includes Porsche Assistance?

I was in two minds as to whether to renew the warranty as I've only done 5k miles in the time I've owned the car (now on 19k) and apart from replacing the sticking hvac fans, I've not claimed. I've managed to get an allocation for the 718 GT4 so at some point soon I'll more than likely be selling the car and reckon the OPC warranty will add value, or at least make it more saleable.

111 point check at Guildford is a few quid cheaper. The warranty price for 2 years (without assistance) is £1840 (but that is for a 991)

£1190. Is without assistance, it’s about £260 more with assistance.  111 point check is subject to some negotiation especially if you are having additional work done at the time.

maybe have a 1 year extension instead?

A well specced S with 19k miles should easily see £33k IMO. Likely a bit more (£35k?) if you are selling in a couple of months 

1 hour ago, F1HA said:

I've been considering warranties also. Just received a quote from my current aftermarket warranty company for circa £1800 for 3 years. Includes wear and tear items, unlimited mileage and a claim limit up to the value of my car when I purchased it. Sounding pretty good considering they've paid 3 times in 2 months to sort out a few little issues. 

What company is that with, it’s good hearing stories of non Porsche Warranty companies actually paying out. £1800 is no cheaper than the  Porsche Warranty though so I guess it depends on the conditions applied etc.

4 minutes ago, Greenman said:

What company is that with, it’s good hearing stories of non Porsche Warranty companies actually paying out. £1800 is no cheaper than the  Porsche Warranty though so I guess it depends on the conditions applied etc.

Auto Protect. No 111 point check, no faffing. Only things excluded are consumables. Must be serviced at required intervals but they don’t care who with. £140 per hour labour rate and as I said, up to the value paid for the car. None of this craziness about Porsche brake pads and discs, zunsport grills etc. I haven’t made up my mind yet. Might get a quote for the warranty from OPC cardiff and see if it’s better. 

1 minute ago, F1HA said:

None of this craziness about Porsche brake pads and discs, zunsport grills etc

Yeh, this is the crux of it really. If you have any mods at all it pretty much pushes you out of the Porsche option.  I think the Porsche Warranty is reasonable value but does mean the 111 check and no mods, so good to know of any recommended alternatives.

5 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Maybe some merit if you sell it privately, will make it more saleable but you won’t get the money you spend on the warranty back. 

Not totally correct; if you sell it privately to an independent dealer, like Harbour, Cridfords, Chappell, you can get a refund the unused part of the warranty and roadside assist. I did this with my 981 sale and it's a relatively painless process.

6 hours ago, Alex_L said:

Nope, always found Silverstone particularly unhelpful and incompetent.

Bought my 981 from Reading and that's where I've managed to secure my GT4 allocation. No previous cars from them, just made a request the day they were announced and received the call in September last year for a deposit. I'm in no rush as I'd much prefer PDK.

Well congratulations you jammy git!

I asked Silverstone for an allocation and just nothing..  Not impressed at all.

8 hours ago, Alex_L said:

That's the quandary I have. Part Ex value is around £28k (2015 S with most options and 19k miles) whereas I'd like to think it may achieve £32/33k privately. 

I'm not 100% that I actually want a GT4, also been looking at Caterham 620r  and a few other things.

To give you an idea I paid 34k for mine. 2015 S with 12k millage, it does have 18k odd of options on it. I think I paid a fair price for what it was. It was a private sale. I have monitored since then and OPCs are selling lower spec cars all be it 2015 and sub 18k miles for around 38k. 2 came up this week and 1 sold in 3 days 

Thanks, that's a good indication. Off the top of my head I've got PDK, PSE, Bose, 18 way electric memory seats, sport design wheel, nav, DAB, folding mirrors, colour coded interior trim, colour coded roll hoops, sport chrono, heated seats, turbo wheels and 3 months warranty remaining so I'd like to think I could probably get £32/£33k for it.

6 minutes ago, Alex_L said:

Thanks, that's a good indication. Off the top of my head I've got PDK, PSE, Bose, 18 way electric memory seats, sport design wheel, nav, DAB, folding mirrors, colour coded interior trim, colour coded roll hoops, sport chrono, heated seats, turbo wheels and 3 months warranty remaining so I'd like to think I could probably get £32/£33k for it.

Yeah you do have the bulk of the key options. Personally I’d put it up for 33.5k. I’d be surprised if someone didn’t bite. I just checked and in fact the 2nd one I had saved being sold by Porsche at 38k has sold too. There’s certainly a market 

2 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Well congratulations you jammy git!

I asked Silverstone for an allocation and just nothing..  Not impressed at all.

Reading have had a few allocations available, they were ringing round in early Jan, they wont say but a few peple have cancelled their orders.

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

Mine too. Bit of an impulse purchase as we were travelling past and I was sulking as the Exige 380 was deemed too extreme so the BGTS seemed like a good compromise at the time. 

it’s a cracking car still after 3 years ownership. 

I went from a Lotus 2-Eleven to a 2015 Exige both of which came from Lotus Silverstone to the Boxster S which I bought from Reading.

I live 10 mins from Silverstone so using the OPC there would be convenient but so far I’ve had a poor experience.

Archived