Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0

718as

Re trading in at an OPC.......don’t assume you have to use the OPC you are buying a car from..........I took my GTS to 3 different OPC and the cash offer (no trade in) varied by nearly £10k .....in the end I did a deal with OPC Bolton as the sales guy “just wanted it” (ie had a buyer lined up).......I took £2k less than I had it advertised for privately (he saw the add on Autotrader and just offered me £2k less).......given I would have taken a deal on a private buyer on the price it was a no brainer........the first time he actually saw the car in the flesh was when I dropped it off after the deal was done........so then moral is shop around OPC’s .....its all down to the salesman and if he wants the car in stock or not.

ps they sold mine within 2 weeks for £4K more than they paid me......everyone was a winner 

54 minutes ago, tcornet said:

I have to say the 4.0 is a cracker of an engine. Smooth, powerful and linear. And as I begin to open her up, it does have a nice scream at the top end and loves the revs. 

Thats good to hear Tony, you clearly are enjoying your new car! I've not heard one in the flesh so to speak but they do sound good in the videos etc. 

1 minute ago, Jonttt said:

Re trading in at an OPC.......don’t assume you have to use the OPC you are buying a car from..........I took my GTS to 3 different OPC and the cash offer (no trade in) varied by nearly £10k .....in the end I did a deal with OPC Bolton as the sales guy “just wanted it” (ie had a buyer lined up).......I took £2k less than I had it advertised for privately (he saw the add on Autotrader and just offered me £2k less).......given I would have taken a deal on a private buyer on the price it was a no brainer........the first time he actually saw the car in the flesh was when I dropped it off after the deal was done........so then moral is shop around OPC’s .....its all down to the salesman and if he wants the car in stock or not.

ps they sold mine within 2 weeks for £4K more than they paid me......everyone was a winner 

Thats interesting .I was thinking of trying sale or return with an independent a little time before the new car arrives.Another forum member did well doing that.  I will also keep an eye on websites etc to see, when I'm close to selling the car, if anyone posts an interest. thats how I sold my Spyder for £3.5k more than the trade in value! I don't want to advertise on auto trader etc, seems a lot of tyre kickers on such sites. 

7 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

I wonder if its right place, right time with these things.

When I sold my 991 back to the OPC they sent out a general email saying they were looking to buy newish cars. As I was thinking of going back to a Boxster I rang up and enquired. I wasn't impressed with the offer so said thanks but no thanks. Two weeks or so later they contacted me again and offered quire a bit more, which I accepted. it meant I lost a lot less than normal on a car 20 months old. The car was never advertised on their site or the main Porsche approved used site. I think they had a buyer in the wings, as it was at the time the factory was closed so new cars were not available. 

41 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Thats good to hear Tony, you clearly are enjoying your new car! I've not heard one in the flesh so to speak but they do sound good in the videos etc. 

John, 

its an interesting one. It’s almost completely silent below 3k regardless of exhaust setting. I hear it’s down to EU regs etc and all new cars do it. 
ive seen a Swiss company that has a box of tricks which keeps the valves open across the full range and it does sound even more impressive. I can forward you the details if you are ever interested as their website isn’t the easiest to figure out 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwiX8bLZ4YXpAhV3VxUIHUVACu4QtwIIQDAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3POaTkQm9b4&usg=AOvVaw3uUAsxY-PyYrX38pEhErDK

hope link works. 
I contacted them and the work to do this includes removing seats etc and around £1k in cost. So I’m going to wait to see what will become on offer in uk in future as with there will be a demand for it for sure 

10 minutes ago, tcornet said:

John, 

its an interesting one. It’s almost completely silent below 3k regardless of exhaust setting. I hear it’s down to EU regs etc and all new cars do it. 
ive seen a Swiss company that has a box of tricks which keeps the valves open across the full range and it does sound even more impressive. I can forward you the details if you are ever interested as their website isn’t the easiest to figure out 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwiX8bLZ4YXpAhV3VxUIHUVACu4QtwIIQDAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3POaTkQm9b4&usg=AOvVaw3uUAsxY-PyYrX38pEhErDK

hope link works. 
I contacted them and the work to do this includes removing seats etc and around £1k in cost. So I’m going to wait to see what will become on offer in uk in future as with there will be a demand for it for sure 

Hi Tony

Thanks for this, yes I'm  really interested. looks good. Would you let me know how you get on with finding a UK supplier. 

3 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for this, yes I'm  really interested. looks good. Would you let me know how you get on with finding a UK supplier. 

Will do, they were happy to ship over but I think there will be better alternatives in future. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiszLWm5oXpAhXoVRUIHZdhDk0QtwIILDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.topgear.com%2Fcar-news%2Fmotorsport%2Fwatch-mark-webber-drive-cayman-gts-40-very-quickly&usg=AOvVaw0Q2mn2TiuljaIGTiRuAoyy

check out Mark Webber’s dancing feet. 

3 minutes ago, tcornet said:

Indeed an incredible athlete, I occasionally bump past him on my runs around the villlage 

Seems a really good guy too. When I've been to the Porsche Experience Centre you are shown around the Human Performance Centre. One of the exercises is to touch lights as they alight over a board which is about 1.5x1.5m. the best I've seen anyone do is 35-40 in a minute. apparently Mark Webber can do over 60! Great reflexes. 

6 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Seems a really good guy too. When I've been to the Porsche Experience Centre you are shown around the Human Performance Centre. One of the exercises is to touch lights as they alight over a board which is about 1.5x1.5m. the best I've seen anyone do is 35-40 in a minute. apparently Mark Webber can do over 60! Great reflexes. 

Incredible. Yeah seems a nice guy. Polite, they support the village but also like their privacy, which I can’t blame them for.

• 1 month later...

On my way back to a Boxster (3rd time lucky), after a 2 year flurry with a 911 (991.2 GTS) which was also very good but different.

So finally fixed my spec today, hopefully I have picked the right options, for me at least, if not time will tell. I have been a bit more frugal this time as too easy to get carried away.

As you said John shame no PTS as would have gone Voodoo / Riviera / Mexico for sure if any of those where available, did ask but alas not available for now at least.

I got the build earlier in the year before all the Covid19 issues, but didn't want it till late June / Early July however this has slipped a bit now so expect it in early / mid August I guess.

And back to a Manual, last two Porsche have been PDK so will be a change if nothing else.

1 hour ago, JonsT said:

Voodoo

The colour I would have had, seen a Spyder with it and it looked fantastic!

Good luck with the car Jon, they look fantastic and have had great write ups. Hopefully we will start to see some on the road shortly as the cars 'in the pipeline' seem to be finally coming through! 

21 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

The colour I would have had, seen a Spyder on it and it looked fantastic!

Good luck with the car Jon, they look fantastic and have had great write ups. Hopefully we will start to see some on the road shortly as the cars 'in the pipeline' seem to be finally coming through! 

Thanks John, me too re the Voodoo, it was was going to be my 991 colour, as had the option for a PTS build, but I dropped it at the last minute and went with the Metalic Graphite Blue on that one.

Archived