Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0

718as

From Autocar above "Porsche hasn’t totally abandoned its four-cylinder philosophy (the turbocharged units remain in the standard and S versions), but after developing a bespoke flat-six motor for the Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4 it was felt that it would be a shame to restrict its use to just these limited run specials."

Bespoke motor? Really?  I'd always assumed it was just a detuned 911 motor with the gearbox at the back this time.

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I'd always assumed it was just a detuned 911 motor

Not quite Meno. You are right that the basis of the engine in the GTS 4.0 is  the current flat 6 cylinder but its bored out from 3L to 4L and is normally aspirated. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the dealer last week to discuss a possible upgrade to the GTS, but the trade-in offer on my current car is awful, so I have gone cold on the idea now.

Their initial offer was about 2k lower than webuyanycar.com!

1 hour ago, ed80 said:

I went to the dealer last week to discuss a possible upgrade to the GTS, but the trade-in offer on my current car is awful, so I have gone cold on the idea now.

Their initial offer was about 2k lower than webuyanycar.com!

Thats interesting. If Meno is right its likely the dealer will just get a trader to buy your car. I know they want my car, a 2015 GTS, but I'm likely to try sale or return with an independent first. 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

What's your current car? Your My Ride says 2001S, I can't imagine an OPC wanting one of them....

Oops. Updated now :)

It's a 2013 Boxster S, Manual with all the best options. It is pretty much mint, and still under warranty from the last time it was sold by a dealer. They put it on a ramp and said how pleased they would be to have the chance to sell such a lovely car, then offered me 20k trade in :D

Many here have taken that trade in offer but quickly sold privately at higher price (I guess there is a proviso in the contract) Gets you a place on the list for a very desirable car!  And if you subsequently couldn’t sell yours at a higher price, then perhaps their valuation was accurate after all. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

You never used to be able to give green cars away, now they seem to be all the rage.

Never saw the attraction mysrlf, I think it looks horrible and ruins the car!

Each to their own.....as I say I think the colour suits the car.

The only concern I would have is that its a very 'shouty' colour and may inadvertently attract attention. 

2 minutes ago, 718as said:

I'd take that green over any other colour.😎

Its a shame they are not offering PTS. I think the car would look great in Voodoo or Mexico blue. 

On 2/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Davey P said:

Ah yes, that's the one I will almost certainly be winning on the BOTB prize draw this week........ :lol:

But would you take the car or the cash alternative as you already have a Porsche @Davey P ?     

2 minutes ago, TV8 said:

@JohnSyn have you ordered one John?

Yes, with a PDK box. Was told September/October but who knows now. I believe the factory may reopen very soon and they may accelerate PDK boxes in Spyder and 4.0GTSs but its all speculation. The great thing is I'm running around in a 981 GTS until I have to make my mind up!

1 minute ago, JohnSyn said:

Yes, with a PDK box. Was told September/October but who knows now. I believe the factory may reopen very soon and they may accelerate PDK boxes in Spyder and 4.0GTSs but its all speculation. The great thing is I'm running around in a 981 GTS until I have to make my mind up!

Good work. Delivery dates for things are going to be all over the place for a lot of things for a while. It only takes one component out of the total to stop everything! 

I am sure you will cope with the 981 until then. 😀👍

49 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Good work. Delivery dates for things are going to be all over the place for a lot of things for a while. It only takes one component out of the total to stop everything! 

I am sure you will cope with the 981 until then. 😀👍

Thanks Graham! The only 'problem' I have is each time I drive the 981 I wonder about swopping it in!! I do like shinny new things though plus I can spec the 4.0 GTS as I want it. 

Archived