Dashboard Rattle Solved

PEZ 9815

Hi guys, a heads up on solving an annoying dash rattle.

for probably 6 months plus I have been getting an annoying rattle that appears to originate on the dash by instrument cluster, Long story short I have traced it back to be the moulded plastic cover in the Frunk, it appears there used to be some adhesive foam fitted to the edge of the car nearest to the windscreen, this has perished and needs replacing.

48 minutes ago, ATM said:

I've got this too. Have you tried removing the whole thing and leaving it off the car. If this cures the rattle then you know it's the cause.

Yes definitely stops when I removed the cover, that’s why I thought I had solved it.

Need to try something else, I think the sponge may have made it worse, but it’s hard to tell.🤔🤔

May be a long shot, but I had a rattle similar to what has been described that I thought was coming from the plastic cover and resonating through dash. Even put foam under the cover where the tyre fix kit is under the main front cover as that seemed loose - rattle was still present.

In the end took it to OPC, technician in the passenger seat for a drive knew what it was straight away from the off.

Offside front strut needed replacing, something to do with plastic collar I seem to recall - done under warranty, car was only 8 months old.

Another long shot - I seem to get rattle / noise / rubbing during certain temperature conditions. If I press with my hand between the instrument cluster and the windscreen, the noise stops..... so don't know if there is something there??

I found I cured mine by pressing the PSE button and driving faster (*where speed limits allow!!) - high speed + sport exhaust + roof down = can't hear any rattles!

I spent weeks chasing a dash rattle on my 986 that turned out to be from the battery. 

It pays to keep an open mind in where these can be (which I singularly failed to do)

:)

11 hours ago, Ringer250 said:

May be a long shot, but I had a rattle similar to what has been described that I thought was coming from the plastic cover and resonating through dash. Even put foam under the cover where the tyre fix kit is under the main front cover as that seemed loose - rattle was still present.

In the end took it to OPC, technician in the passenger seat for a drive knew what it was straight away from the off.

Offside front strut needed replacing, something to do with plastic collar I seem to recall - done under warranty, car was only 8 months old.

My first 981 Boxster had this from nearly new, I'm sure it was from this direction but dealer had no idea so ended up having to put up with it until I traded it. Good chance it was this same fault too

On 2/27/2020 at 5:21 AM, ATM said:

I've got this too. Have you tried removing the whole thing and leaving it off the car. If this cures the rattle then you know it's the cause.

I've also noticed the cover or lid for where the pump goes is a bit loose and could rattle so I'm leaving this off too. I dont even have the pump in mine. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rob™ said:

Is this a rattle or a squeak? I know everyone says rattle, but I've got an annoying squeak... still get it with the battery cover off, roof and windows down.

Definitely a dull rattle 😡😡

Just now, Happy Days said:

Try this - lock your wife in the frunk and your dog in the boot. Which one do you think will be pleased to see you when you let them both out?

So true! 😂

Archived