How do you drive yours?

stupidget

Probably a daft question, but how do you drive your 986?  I've got a 985 S Tip and as I was pottering about the other day and wondered if people always drive into the red or only on open roads?  Reason I ask is that I remember reading on Pistonheads that you should 'drive it like you stole it!' and apparently it's actually better for the 986 and prolongs IMS bearing life blah blah blah.  Is this actually true or just a load of bobbins?  Personally I drop it down a gear at the slightest excuse just hear that fantastic engine 😃

I think it's essential to have fun in the car but the reality of day to day driving and the quality of roads (plus fuel, tyres, brakes, law enforcement) come into play and levels things out. 

As for the IMS, I wonder what the statistics have settled down in the fullness of time. The 5% stat is approx 10 years old now. 

I drive mine as such that I get the feedback from the car that I like (after all that's why I bought it) . Occasionally with a wind up through the gears just to hear that engine (another reason I chose the car) 

One thing that is really good about these cars is the fact you don't have to push them too hard for those things to come alive and it's for this reason they make a great road car/daily driver.

One of the criticisms of my BMW is you have to push it a bit more than I'd like before you really start to feel what the car is doing underneath you.

I don't even think about the IMS, if it goes it goes. It's just another point of mechanical failure, which every single car out there is capable of doing, no matter how old or which manufacturer made it. So I just maintain the car and change bits when I want to upgrade , when they need replacing or as preventative maintenance

Mine gets a varied drive as its a daily. Sure I like to hear the flat six pushed as much as anyone. I just can't give much throttle on my daily drive. I did however, make a 200 mile round trip today and let's just say, it was spirited. I think the beauty of the Boxster is that it can be a proper sports convertible as well as a competent daily commuter. Love it so much. 

Another daily driver here. It's either pottering along in traffic or being wrung out in 2nd on some of the country lanes on my way to work. Usually sideways out of at least 1 junction a day too.

No idea if it's better for the car or not, but it sure is fun. :)

44 minutes ago, Huw_L said:

Another daily driver here. It's either pottering along in traffic or being wrung out in 2nd on some of the country lanes on my way to work. Usually sideways out of at least 1 junction a day too.

No idea if it's better for the car or not, but it sure is fun. :)

Where do you wring it out round here? Everytime I do it I always end up in a queue or stuck behind something 😂

In the S6 it was like torture, V10 was its best attribute to but nowhere to open the taps!

Do you know Crackley Lane from Kenilworth to Westwood Heath in Coventry?

Definitely not the sort of road to stretch an S6 out on, very narrow & tight and managing to get close to the speed limit is challenging for most of it.

B4115 running alongside the A46 gets very quiet after about 8pm - that's a little less claustraphobic.

'drive it like you stole it!' and apparently it's actually better for the 986 and prolongs IMS bearing life blah blah blah.  Is this actually true or just a load of bobbins?  Personally I drop it down a gear at the slightest excuse just hear that fantastic engine 😃

No idea if the above is true. but why risk it seems to be the philosophy of many fellow owners

I enjoy pottering down little B roads where it’s feedback and balance can be experienced within the bounds of the Highway Code. 

The sound above 4K rpm is good enough to make Spending time below it minimal unless around town.

ask @Nath and @DrKW59 about ringing them out around Nurburgring...  

Personally speaking i've always explored the rev limits of any car i've owned, especially sporty models. Obviously as others have said there is a time and place but get out there early on a weekend morning and find those empty roads, well worth it. 

Even though I've had my 986 for over 6 months I'm still in the honeymoon phase.  I drive it at the drop of a hat.  If my missus asks "Do we need some more milk?" I've got the keys in my hand before she's even finished the sentence 😀.  I didn't feel like this with my TT.

Also, does anybody ever drive without the PMS enabled, apart from on track days|?

10 minutes ago, stupidget said:

.....does anybody ever drive without the PMS enabled, apart from on track days|?

Assuming you mean PSM - not PMS - then a number of us never have it switched on as it was an option on the earlier 986 and not every car was equipped with it. 

Have to say I get the occasional reminder that there’s no PSM safety net..... and to keep things smooth. 

Not got it on my car ... not experienced it in a Porsche, but on other cars of that era (BMW E39 M5 was main one I owned) I found the Traction Control to be very on-off and difficult to predict on the limit.

2 hours ago, map said:

Assuming you mean PSM - not PMS - then a number of us never have it switched on as it was an option on the earlier 986 and not every car was equipped with it. 

Have to say I get the occasional reminder that there’s no PSM safety net..... and to keep things smooth. 

Ha ha yeah, don’t think I’d want a car with PMS 😂😂

No PSM here either (or TC as the earlier cars have), dont find it to be a problem at all just have to be smoother with your inputs when wet though I find its a car that promotes you to be smooth anyway due to its nature. 

In my experience SCS is technology that has improved very quickly. The newer stuff I'm used to is fantastic when pushed & the various modes really alter how it behaves (its particularly good on the Jaguars) 

All the cars I've owned that I've had it on its been very digital, the RX-8 in particular was terrible as it seemingly never did anything. The BMW probably has the best system but it still isnt brilliant.

hi guys, 

im very new to my boxster s it’s coming up to 3 months but love it!! i also have a 951 which is heavily modified , but being a turbo is a different kettle of fish. 

i can’t help myself to floor both of my porsches when the time is right  and never mange to get good mpg out of iether becuase of it. 

this boxster is so addictive though becuase of all the low down torque, i find it such a nice car to nip about town in becuase of it, where as the 944 turbo just needs more road and you have to be a bit carefull where you plant your foot down as when the boost comes in it comes in hard. the boxster s power is just so linier i absolutely love it, i can’t help but to keep hearing that ending howl, although i don’t think i’ve red lines get yet maybe 6500 .....took the snorkel out the other night and i actual noticed the sound was much nicer!. so well pleased with that. havnt gunned it at higher speeds then 80 on the right roads yet as i’m in the process of changing control arms and shocks so still sorting a few camber issues out , but it’s awesome......i might go out in it now actually ...

15 hours ago, naim22 said:

No PSM here either (or TC as the earlier cars have), dont find it to be a problem at all just have to be smoother with your inputs when wet though I find its a car that promotes you to be smooth anyway due to its nature. 

In my experience SCS is technology that has improved very quickly. The newer stuff I'm used to is fantastic when pushed & the various modes really alter how it behaves (its particularly good on the Jaguars) 

All the cars I've owned that I've had it on its been very digital, the RX-8 in particular was terrible as it seemingly never did anything. The BMW probably has the best system but it still isnt brilliant.

The new MX5 is quite good if you leave it on, will only intervene when things get fairly squirrelly. Turn it off though and it really is just you and the car, very easy to get twitchy especially in this weather. 

Right foot and grey matter are the substitutes I employ for PSM.

Far from foolproof, and at the same time deeply rewarding. Feels like you’re really responsible for all that’s going on. 

I think it also means you develop feel and a set of responses that the later cars may make a tad redundant. 

I like the 986 (and 996) because it’s way more car than computer game. 

1 hour ago, AMacdonald said:

I think I may be a little out of step, as I probably spend more time tooling around at semi-sensible speeds, roof down, than hooning. The great thing about the Boxster is that it's extremely capable of both though so when the urge takes me....

Amen, brother🙏🏿

On 2/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Mr96er said:

I enjoy pottering down little B roads where it’s feedback and balance can be experienced within the bounds of the Highway Code. 

The sound above 4K rpm is good enough to make Spending time below it minimal unless around town.

ask @Nath and @DrKW59 about ringing them out around Nurburgring...  

Pottering???? I wonder how many people share you definition of that word😏

Archived