Leather seat repair DIY attempt.

the baron

Been meaning to sort out the bolster on the drivers seat after having bought the repair kit at the classic car show last year, just not had the time to sort it, the kit comes with glue, filler and leather inserts and the dye, which comes with a colour chart so you can match your leather exactly, in all around 5 different colours to use with the base colour of red for my particular interior, it gives clear instruction how to mix the colours correctly and to patch up your leather, here's a few before and after pics, certainly not perfect but as a temporary fix, it will do:

ikmk6h2.jpg

30KBvaB.jpg

Thats a decent job mate 👍

I know where to come when I need my leather repairing ..... Or if I need a dent pulling out of my bumper ! 🤣

47 minutes ago, Truth said:

Thats a decent job mate 👍

I know where to come when I need my leather repairing ..... Or if I need a dent pulling out of my bumper ! 🤣

Yup, been a busy day, lol.

Impressive ! 

That’s a good result considering the damage. Good work

did have a quick look on fleabay - seats are still relatively expensive to replace 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-CARRERA-911-996-BOXSTER-986-BOXSTER-RED-LEATHER-FRONT-SEATS/283782487850?hash=item4212c11f2a:g:vm0AAOSwh~peRlDg

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

did have a quick look on fleabay - seats are still relatively expensive to replace 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-CARRERA-911-996-BOXSTER-986-BOXSTER-RED-LEATHER-FRONT-SEATS/283782487850?hash=item4212c11f2a:g:vm0AAOSwh~peRlDg

I suspect that you could find a leather trimmer to recover them for around the same money as these are listed at and that would be new leather which in @the baron's case would get him back to Earth on the mileage his has done based on the life of the originals.

8 hours ago, Concrete-crusher said:

I'm also meaning to do mine, I have filler and a leather paint, looking at your cracks before and after they don't look filled, did you use a pu filler before painting or just paint on the cracks? 

No, I put a material gause under the leather, then used the supplied leather patches and cut them to fit in the gaps, rips of the leather (glued in place) then used the supplied filler, the bumps are caused when I sanding the filler down, with a bit more time/care it could of been a better job and if I attempt again I will no how to do it better.

8 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

I saw these, but I have plans for my seats involving removing the leather inserts and replacing with the Porsche check material as below pic:

WdBBDnz.png

Archived