Where's the spare wheel?

Ninesomething

I've looked everywhere. Can't find it. I also can't find a sealant kit. Last time I used one of these it had about enough pressure to blow up a party balloon. My guess is I need a sealant kit with one of those little compressors that plug into the fag lighter socket. Is there any brand or type I should look for.

I hadn't had a puncture for absolutely ever - in fact I couldn't remember the last time as I was changing the wheel at 4 in the morning a couple of weeks ago in the pxxing down rain in Rouen. Made me think...

s-l1600-10-2.jpg

987's don't have a spare wheel. It's sealant and air pump. 

Yet another reason I went for a 986. I average 2 to 3 punctures per year living in the country when they "brush" the hedgerows in autumn😔:lol:

Plus cable release of the bonnet and boot ....a godsend in the event of a flat battery.

I don't know if a 986 skinny spare fits on or in a 987????

The 987 has a sealant kit and compressor built-in. Just turn the two large plastic lugs near the Hazard warning triangle case in the front boot.

1 hour ago, stevemag said:

s-l1600-10-2.jpg

987's don't have a spare wheel. It's sealant and air pump. 

Yet another reason I went for a 986. I average 2 to 3 punctures per year living in the country when they "brush" the hedgerows in autumn😔:lol:

Plus cable release of the bonnet and boot ....a godsend in the event of a flat battery.

I don't know if a 986 skinny spare fits on or in a 987????

Yes the 986 spare is useful unless...you have a rear puncture and a passenger with you; then its either the passenger or wheel stays by the roadside as there isn't room in the front or rear boot for the wheel - its a passenger seat job. Speaking from experience! After that I bought a decent compressor and sealant as used by Mercedes just in case (and a puncture repair kit for good measure) but honestly expect to be calling out the AA for assistance.

Keith

1 hour ago, huytonman said:

Yes the 986 spare is useful unless...you have a rear puncture and a passenger with you; then its either the passenger or wheel stays by the roadside as there isn't room in the front or rear boot for the wheel - its a passenger seat job. Speaking from experience! After that I bought a decent compressor and sealant as used by Mercedes just in case (and a puncture repair kit for good measure) but honestly expect to be calling out the AA for assistance.

Keith

I carry the spare tyre, compressor and a can of sealant.....but never really want to use the sealant as it "scraps" the tyre from any repair. Tyre centre won't fix a tyre that's had sealant in it .😔

1 hour ago, huytonman said:

Keith

Last year my car was in for a service and the OPC service manager noted the sealant was out of date.....

The next thing he said surprised me...

He said not to bother buying a new one as that’s what the road side assistance you paid for is for !!!

I thought it was an OPC finally being good with customer servicing instead of aimlessly adding to a bill.

Doesn't happen very often though 

6 hours ago, stevemag said:

I carry the spare tyre, compressor and a can of sealant.....but never really want to use the sealant as it "scraps" the tyre from any repair. Tyre centre won't fix a tyre that's had sealant in it .😔

Halford sells a water base sealant that can be washed which enables a repair. In a case of a puncture the wheel can be carried on the rear boot lid (someone posted photos showing how to do it).

On 3/1/2020 at 10:22 PM, Freeman said:

Halford sells a water base sealant that can be washed which enables a repair. In a case of a puncture the wheel can be carried on the rear boot lid (someone posted photos showing how to do it).

While the Cherry Bomb was up on the ramp at Lees last year for a track rod end he spotted a screw embedded in the tyre wall - tyre less than 2 months old - local tyre centre didn't have one in stock so filled it with the sealant and I drove the 70 miles home down the Fosse Way - took it into Imperial Tyres in Swindon who popped on a new one for me and sent the damaged one away for a major repair despite being full of tyre gunk - cost me £40 and is sitting in my shed waiting for when the rears need replacing - but agree with the OPC it’s what you pay the AA / RAC for. 

Archived