New 987 gen 2 and found bolts in door bin

GaryK

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum (or at least I joined ages ago but have now got a Boxster 987 gen 2). I picked the car up yesterday and have driven a few hundred miles. All seems OK. However, I've found 3 big bolts in the passenger door bin. They look big and important. I've attached pictures. The dealer gave the car a full service before I collected it so I'm worried they removed them and forgot to put them back. I've told the dealer (non-Porsche) and they are looking into it.

Can anyone on here identify them? I'm reluctant to drive the car until I'm sure they are not important. 

Thanks for your help

Gary

IMG_0078.JPG

I very much doubt anyone doing regular servicing would have put important parts in the door bin and then forgotten them. 

I reckon those are left over from a previous repair or replacement where someone has thought those will come in handy. 

check the history and see what’s been changed and then look in the online parts diagram to see if you can find the parts.  

alternatively call into your local opc and see if the parts folks recognise them.  

If it’s done a few hundred miles and no noise or nonsense then it’s probably fine so just enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, GaryK said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take a run to an OPC for them to take a look. I’ve got to get oil drained first as the car keeps throwing an oil level alert which is showing as above maximum.

Oil level alert above maximum

That sounds interesting. Care to tell us more? I thought that there was no way to tell if a 987 had been over-filled (hence much fulmination about exactly what your oil level gauge should say).

12 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Oil level alert above maximum?   That sounds interesting. Care to tell us more? I thought that there was no way to tell if a 987 had been over-filled (hence much fulmination about exactly what your oil level gauge should say).

The oil level indication needs to be within the arrows.  From what I have seen in the user guide there is one "chunk" at the bottom for low oil, and one at the top, which presumably will be lit up if the level is too high.  My understanding is it's almost worse to have too much oil than low oil (on any car, not just a Porsche), so best to get that sorted ASAP.

Just a thought

If it was serviced at a non Porsche “place” before you bought it then also check when the car thinks it’s next service is due.  On the gen 2 you can do it from the info menu on the onboard computer.  Chances are it was not reset when the car was serviced so it will pop up and ask for a service one day when it should be longer apart. 

or treat the service was a free oil change and keep to the Schedule. No wrong answer but information is good. 

Archived